Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, as I am only on week four of my run/walk program, i am still a beginner and not sure what I should and shouldn't do. I felt ill yesterday, and woke up this morning (on my running morning) still feeling a bit rough with headache, nausea and sore throat. I wasn't sure whether I should still go out for my run/walk, but went anyway. I did feel a little low on energy and found it a bit harder than usual, but the fresh air made me feel a bit better and I managed to get through it. I normally come back and after my shower have a big bowl of porridge, but gave the porridge a miss as the nausea was still there. Did I do the right thing going out? I didn't want to miss my session and risk giving up (although I dont think i would give up cos I am really enjoying it) Or was I right to carry on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
There's been a few threads like this in the not too distant past Karen. Truth be told there is no right or wrong answer. Some people believe it's a bad idea to exercise when you're under the weather, some can't see a problem.

Personally I find if I'm well enough to be up and about then I'm well enough to run, and usually the run gives me a lift and makes me feel a bit better (though may just be psychological). I can't think of an occaision where I've ran whilst under the whether and suffered further as a result!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Agree with Rich, there's really no roght or wrong answer to this, my advbice woulf be go out, take it steady and listen to your body. If you fell really bad after a short while then just turn round and walk home, if not - carry on and enjoy the session.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'm off the opposite opinion to the two gents above. Firstly, the illness makes it harder to revocer from training and if you're training with anyone else, they're more susceptible to picking up your lurgy.

I had the flu myself last month and thought I'd shaken it off. I started feeling queasy at about 3 miles and was a bit ill at the 4 mile mark. So if you do go out, heed Granty's advice and stop if you start feeling worse.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I am feeling ill I head out of the door anyway and run for ten minutes. If I still feel bad then I turn back. I have only turned back once.

The only exception is if the symptoms are 'flu like. Then it is best not to run as it can be dangerous. If it is just a cold running will generally improve how you feel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys you have put my mind at rest, I just didnt want to do anything to risk feeling worse, but thankfully I got through it and feel a bit better today.:d

·
Registered
664 Posts
Although many people claim a 'flu' it's often just a bad cold. You know when you've got flu, and while I wouldn't recommend attempting a run then, I really doubt you would feel remotely like attempting it anyway (or even be capable if it's geuninely flu). A cold on the other hand I run through, unless it turns chesty in which case I take some time off. As others have said, have a go, but stop if you feel bad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I know what you mean, if I had flu i wouldnt even get out of bed!! I haven't even got a bad cold, just had very bad headache, nausea, stomach ache and sore throat. Feel better today apart from the headache is still there. Thenkyou for your advice:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
The sore throat means that your body is fighting something. Did you know that if we didn't get that sore throat just before a bad cold then we'd die from the cold virus!

If I had sore throat, especially combined with nausea and dizzyness I would most definitely not run.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The great Ron Hill (still) runs every day even when feeling ill. But I do seem to remember some cases of people having long term sickness problems after working out when suffering from a virus. It may be worth checking it out.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
wounded knee said:
The great Ron Hill (still) runs every day even when feeling ill. .
Have I finally found someone else who knows about the great Dr. Hill? His books have been the greatest sources of inspiration I've ever come across. It's a shame that they're no longer in print.:(

·
Registered
105 Posts
I personally would never run when feeling ill (unless its just a cold). I like to give my body every opportunity of recovering from an illness as quickly as possible .... I feel that running would only slow this process down. I've had re-lapses in the past when I've over-done it following a virus so I now just don't do it. Everyone is different though .... wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same? :d

A

·
0 Posts
If I'm feeling a bit under the weather, I'll go out and run according to how I feel. Only on two occasions, I've had to turn back. Generally, if it's a bit of the sniffles and I'm slightly tired, I'll go out and usually come back feeling better but if I'm chesty and coughing up green phlegm (apologies to the squeamish) I'll give it a day or two before I return to training. And I've learned never to try and play catch up with any days off.

A.

·
Registered
172 Posts
pedestrian said:
Have I finally found someone else who knows about the great Dr. Hill? His books have been the greatest sources of inspiration I've ever come across. It's a shame that they're no longer in print.:(
I liked him so much that I bought one of his jackets!:d

1 - 20 of 22 Posts