Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should you? I have had the start of a cold for a few days now. I have still run as usual. Found it a little bit more hard going than normal but still enjoyable. Funnily enough, when I think about going to work I feel quite unwell with my "cold" but when I think about going for a run, I feel not too bad and am raring to go. As a newbie I haven't had any illness since I started running this summer. What do the rest of you do if you are a bit under the weather? Train through or rest up?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I go against all advice and train (run, swim or both) when I have a cold. However, I had a bad stomach bug a few weeks ago and didn't manage anything for 3 or 4 days. Actually I have had the start of a sore throat the last couple of days and as I don't feel ill with it I have swam and run (and cycled to, from and during work) as per normal. I think the secret is to listen to your body; maybe lower the intensity and take heed of what it is saying.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
664 Posts
If it is just the sniffles, then yes I carry on training (what with open plan offices and public transport you'd miss half the winter otherwise).

·
Registered
835 Posts
Get out there, nothing better than fresh air for a cold. I agree with zanshin on the stomach bug, lay off the training until the stomach belongs to you again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had a horrific cold for the last week...head was pounding too much so didn't run for 4 days. Am not totally better now but I did enjoy the run and it certainly gets the snot flowing.

Better out than in!!!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Isn't there something about you're OK to exercise if your symptoms are above your neck but not if they're below it, or something?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like a sensible approach. Although, my cough is chesty so does that mean I shouldn't be running?

I think, go if you feel like it...after all if you find it's too much you can alway walk back.

PS. take lots of tissues!!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Take tissues? How civilised! I have to admit to being rather grosse and using the short sharp blast out one nostril to clear any excess mucus :embarrassed:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've never quite mastered the whole shooting out of one nostril...always end up in a bit of a mess...hence the tissues. I fold them up and tuck them into my sports bra between the 2 layers of material.

I find even if I don't have a cold I need to blow my nose after a couple of miles....clears the airway for better breathing and hopefully better running...haha. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Sore throat yesterday... fantastic speed session last night... dying of Man Flu today, I'm sure I'd be in the same situation even if I hadn't of trained - but it just amazes me how great I was feeling last night, and how close to death I feel sat in the office today.

sympathy please people - I hear man flu is potentially fatal :eek:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thats what happened to me Richard, did 13.10 miles on the monday, tuesday sore throat then the dreaded aches and pains

Thankfully i feel lot better today, just horrible sniffles and irritating cough :p

awwwwwww poor you ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive run on some colds, infact I have one now, Depends how bad it is, if its real bad loads of sneezing, snot and stuff, I would get some rest. However if its not that bad and you feel good i see no harm in going for a run, clears you up. Does for me anyway :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts