Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to run tonight. I'm still very new, just doing around 1.5miles a week, but this week, as my aching joints seem to be improving, I was planning to go out twice - tonight being the night...

But I've got a cold - it's on the mend today, and I'm not really 'unwell', just a bit under the weather. Will it be good for me to go out anyway, and just do a mile, or should I stay home?

It's lovely and sunny, so I won't get wet!

Thanks for any advice. :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well Mac, I always feel better after a run! Sometimes I get out of bed in the morning and I can hardly walk! But I force myself out and I'm always glad I did!:d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
If you don't feel unwell; then go and run. If you don't, you won't have a good one!;)
Now just get out there quickly before all the contradictory posts start to arrive!:eek:
ooohhh i'd err on the side of< tosses coin again second time today>Mr P

Yahooooooo!!!!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
If i tell you does that mean were engaged <bats eyelids furiously>:huh:

by the way i forgot to say i had my credit card nicked recently .
i haven't reported it to the police as the thieves are spending less than i was!!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
pedestrian said:
If you don't feel unwell; then go and run. If you don't, you won't have a good one!;)
Now just get out there quickly before all the contradictory posts start to arrive!:eek:
I ran with a cold for the first time on Sunday and ended up missing my Tuesday session because I felt even worse. Tonights session was also a shocker, even though I'm feelikng a bit better.

I'd suggest skipping a session and see how you feel tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A few weeks ago I developed a chest infection; however, I didn’t feel particularly unwell with it. I kept up my running and swimming regime, although I did reduce the intensity/effort slightly but not the distance. I think that the exercise helped me through the illness. I know medical advise, especially for me as I have a heart condition, is not to exercise with a cold or virus but if you listen to your body you should be fine.:d

·
Registered
264 Posts
Whenever I have a cold, I tend to go out if I'm not feeling too bad. Its a bit of a gamble at times. Sometimes I feel better, sometimes worse.

However, sometimes these colds take ages to shake off completely so I usually go out after the headcold, feeling unwell part is over.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your replies. I did go out, but just did a very gentle run. My throat felt a bit sorer afterwards (all that gasping for breath!!!) but other that there were no ill effects. More than anything, I felt very pleased with myself, so that made it worth doing anyway ;)

Still feeling a bit rough today though, but can't tell now whether the running made it worse :d

BTW - being ignorant... what's the difference between a gentle run and a jog?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I am also curious about the difference between jogging and running. Is there a technical distinction, or is it all relative. Personally, if I'm moving at 8min/mile pace I consider that a jog. I only feel like I'm running if I'm moving at sub 7min pace. between 7 and 8min pace i think of that as a gentle run. This might all be quite arbitrary though. It's just how I feel personally.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
JBBury said:
I am also curious about the difference between jogging and running. Is there a technical distinction, or is it all relative. Personally, if I'm moving at 8min/mile pace I consider that a jog. I only feel like I'm running if I'm moving at sub 7min pace. between 7 and 8min pace i think of that as a gentle run. This might all be quite arbitrary though. It's just how I feel personally.
I think it's definitely a personal thing. A jog is just a relaxed easy run. 8 min/mile pace would feel like a flat out sprint to me :d

1 - 14 of 14 Posts