Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes run home from with a rucksack and its a bit awkward and uncomfortable. I find that the straps around my shoulders restrict my breathing.

I prefer running with no 'baggage' but I need somewhere to put my stuff. I'm wondering if it's worth investing in a proper running rucksack, or is running with gear on my back always going to be uncomfortable?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Everest, you don't say what type of rucksack you use, but I have a little experience of this. I used to have a North Face standard ruck sack. It was awful for running with, as it just bounced around all over the place. I recently bought a new Burton (for snowboarding) that has both a waist strap and chest strap, and it doesn't move an inch. It is called a Burton Daypack, and although it is primarly aimed at the snowboarding market, it is ample for day to day use. Plenty of pockets and zips!!!
My advice (if you have not already) is by a rucksack that has both these straps, as I found that the waist strap alone was not enough to stop the bag from moving arouns.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply BB, at the minute I have a cheap rucksack. Sounds like I need one with both the chest and waist straps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fulmar, it was a gift so I am not sure how much the one I have cost, but a quick search on the net you can get this particular one for about £40. I am sure you can get it cheaper, or cheaper makes. IMO the main requirement, if it is to be used for running, is the chest and waist straps.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Buy a proper fell running sack.
Karrimor do a KIMM sack. Rock and Run in Ambelside used to sell their own rucky. Fab piece of kit! I had two of them and ran back and forth to work with it for years.Plenty of straps and a compression cord round the sack helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Saloman ruck above is a bladder pack. I have a Karrimor 20 litre running rucksack - fantastic for running with and has both chest and waist straps.

RRP: £39.99 SportsWorld Price: £3.99 (90% off in their bargain bin!!!)

I also have an Adidas combined running rucksack/bladder pack worth £40 that I got for free :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got my name down for doing a mountain marathon this summer so have been doing a bit of research, I already own a few rucksacks which I'm giving a go on weekends. I bought a viga fell running pack which is ultralight but unfortunately for me doesn't seem long enough in the back as the hip belt sits just under my ribs, worth a look though for 13 quid including delivery from bourne sports, another one which sounds pretty good is the mizuno one which bourne sports also sells and a bit of information at snowlines.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
steepler said:
OMM do some awesome packs.
new name for KIMM. Original Mountain Marathon
Check them out
I've gone through several KIMM sacks over the years; they're ideal... (a majority of my runs are done with a rucksack, and eventually they do wear out!).
At the moment I'm using a Lowe Alpine Endurer 35, which is very similar to the original KIMM sacks, although shaped to allow more ventilation to your back.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i've been fingering OMM, inov-8 & raidlight packs over the last few weeks.

probably going with the raidlight option.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Jez

I use a trespass waist bag. it has three pockets of different sizes; the largest is big enough to hold my swimming gear (trunks, small towel and goggles) for when i run to the pool. i also carry my mobile and ipod in it and there is still plenty of room left. it also has two mesh pockets for a waterbottle or tightly rolled waterproof. When it is clipped on there are two additional side straps that tighten up the load bearing part and also holds fast anything in the mesh pockets. It only cost £6 from the Freeport in Fleetwood and was worth every penny.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts