Runners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 57 and started running 5k for fitness under 2 years ago, while losing about 23 Kg. I’m quite happy with my new fitness while I’d like to improve my fitness as much as I can.

As a running newbie, I’m thinking (I guess this applies to any fitness sport):
  • Is it best to get a good fitness level and then try to improve it, or at least maintain it, always trying to avoid overtraining?
  • Or to periodize my training, which may improve my fitness better than always-same-level training?
In short: is periodization intended for competitive sports or it’s also the best for regular folks like me who just want to improve their fitness?
I'm thinking of the Garmin training plans for this.

I’d really appreciate opinions on this. And thanks to you all in advance, you’ve really helped me before.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’m 57 and started running 5k for fitness under 2 years ago, while losing about 23 Kg. I’m quite happy with my new fitness while I’d like to improve my fitness as much as I can.

As a running newbie, I’m thinking (I guess this applies to any fitness sport):
  • Is it best to get a good fitness level and then try to improve it, or at least maintain it, always trying to avoid overtraining?
  • Or to periodize my training, which may improve my fitness better than always-same-level training?
In short: is periodization intended for competitive sports or it’s also the best for regular folks like me who just want to improve their fitness?
I'm thinking of the Garmin training plans for this.

I’d really appreciate opinions on this. And thanks to you all in advance, you’ve really helped me before.
Hi, my personal view would be that both options are valid. Speaking personally I prefer to maintain a good level of aerobic fitness most of the year round. I will then use specific training plans for target races. I may then increase my level of aerobic running and use race pace practice to sharpen for the event. Typically my weekly long run will gain more prominence in any race specific training plan, especially if 10km or further.

In terms of how to keep a good level of aerobic fitness year round, and in a safe manner. I like to run the majority in a run/walk format. I find this more enjoyable, more effective and much safer in terms of preventing injury!

·
Registered
5 Posts
periodization is definitely more advanced training that you can do with or without racing. it's more structure and discipline to control all the energy systems are trained. for recreational running, key energy workouts are all you really need. 1 or 2 a week added to whatever running you want to do will get you what you want. mix in 3k, 5k, 10k, 15k half marathon, marathon runs at your whim and you'll be good. every 4th week make it an easy one to recharge and let the conditioning get in your body to prevent overtraining. good luck! Ken https://5speedrunning.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
periodization is definitely more advanced training that you can do with or without racing. it's more structure and discipline to control all the energy systems are trained. for recreational running, key energy workouts are all you really need. 1 or 2 a week added to whatever running you want to do will get you what you want. mix in 3k, 5k, 10k, 15k half marathon, marathon runs at your whim and you'll be good. every 4th week make it an easy one to recharge and let the conditioning get in your body to prevent overtraining. good luck! Ken https://5speedrunning.com
Thanks for that. I'm doing a 5K Garmin plan, I'm liking it. I'll check that website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts