Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Have you any of you (with a bottomless pit of running info - or so it seems) :d have some smart objectives for a beginner runner?

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Achievable
R - Realistic
T - Timebound

I have been told this is the best way to do it as it keeps you motivated and gives you something to aspire to without being ridiculously out of reach.

I am currently working one out for my general gym sessions, but not sure about running objectives as I have not run any decent distance since school when we did cross-country.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

The Minx

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
well Minxy objectives i suppose it depends on what you want to achieve from your running

Personally for me my first objective is to enjoy what i'm doing( specific)

Secondly i set myself a target to aim for, in my case it's a half marathon at the beginning of march (measurable)

thirdly i set my self a realistic objective in terms of the time i hope to achieve (achievable)

forth i am realistic about what i can achieve within the constraints of my age, work, general health (realistic)

fifth there are only 24 hours in a day you can only do what you can do within that time
(timebound);)

good post though very cerebral

take it easy

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Not sure they would fit into a framework like the above, mine were at the start, to lose weight, get fit and give up smoking. I've stopped smoking, am fitter and still need to lose more weight (dam those Custard creams :p )

Once I was able to run a few miles I entered a few races and used that as my motivation.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well, I would recommend entering a race, say a 5 or 10K, and then finding a training plan for the distance. You will find many on the net which will give you for example a 12 week program to follow. This will fulfill all your SMART criteria. If using a 12 week plan I like to start with a few weeks to spare, which means you can cope with missing a week or two due to illness or injury niggles, and if you stay healthy fit in a few repetitions of the peak weeks, leaving you well prepared for the race. Once the first race is under your belt you then have a
new PB to target next !

·
Registered
123 Posts
Being a management consultant I have to justify my fees to clients so I have developed SMART objectives further by adding ER to make mine SMARTER

The E is for Empowering
The R is for Revisable.

For runners these are vitally important, if it is not fun and fulfilling what is the point.

If things change e.g. get injured, get promoted, have a baby, it is important to change your goals.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comments

Edward Chapman said:
The E is for Empowering
The R is for Revisable.

Hi guys and gals

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will take these all into consideration when I am making up my plan, I particularly like Edwards as above.

The Minx

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Aren't most goals SMART by nature? At the end of the day everything you do in life is for a reason isn't it? Otherwise you wouldn't bother? Or do people just live for the sake of it with no sense of direction? :confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
do people just live for the sake of it with no sense of direction? :confused:
Do I know you? :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
This is my SMART plan

S - Some
M - More