Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I am sure its been covered before but I am being lazy....

I have a new bike, I have been out on a few 18 - 20 mile cycles. My backside feels like its been 12 rounds with mike Tyson. Its a hybrid and I realise the ride is firm. My question is this, does it ease off the more you ride?

Also any recommendations on padded shorts or tights? I bought muddyfox from sports direct but they seem useless so far...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate, will definitely try a pair of those shorts. I don't want to get seat covers too early in until I know if its just me getting used to it or not. :)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I have MuddyFox shorts and they are OK but I've never done more than 25k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wear Tenn Outdoor bib shorts, with some running tights under them, They cheap but cheerful, Have to invest in a nice saddle and tires for a smoother ride, Its easier to ride when your comfy so a saddle is a good investment.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Ok I am sure its been covered before but I am being lazy....

I have a new bike, I have been out on a few 18 - 20 mile cycles. My backside feels like its been 12 rounds with mike Tyson. Its a hybrid and I realise the ride is firm. My question is this, does it ease off the more you ride?

Also any recommendations on padded shorts or tights? I bought muddyfox from sports direct but they seem useless so far...
Hi Alan... watch this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA ...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Don't wear anything under bib shorts, the chamois pad is supposed to be against the skin, otherwise you could end up with chafing.

It gets better, you get to a certain point when any mileage is pain free.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Hey Eddie, I did 27km today in the shorts you suggested from amazon. Felt a lot more comfortable. Any recommendations for cycling tights? :)
I've only cycled in the cold a few times, and just wear running tights under cycling shorts. Feels OK.

I did buy some Lidl bib tights a while back, but haven't had need to wear them yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It will ease off in no time! don't let it put you off, and no need for adamo just yet, unless your numb throughout, in which case its worth looking at. Nalani bib/shorts are the only ones for me! Remember when you buy cheap, you will most likely buy twice, so don't be tight when picking out bibs/shorts;)

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
As above, give it a few weeks and the pain disappears. I'm very curious about the sperm count phenomenon and am a bit worried too tbh...information is scarce!

What I would add to all the above Alan is to get up off the saddle for a few seconds now and again to allow bloodflow to return and this will help with the comfort.

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
I've only cycled in the cold a few times, and just wear running tights under cycling shorts.
I wear running tights too but over the cycle shorts, isn't the chamois meant to be in contact with the skin?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts