Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I took up running last year and was progressing really well with 5-10k runs in a time I was more than happy with.

I live on the Isle of Man and wanted to get into the country a bit more to enjoy the scenery rather than running around town.

I bought a pair of salomon speedcross 2 to get out on the trails and work my way onto the hills. However, after a very short period of wearing the Salomon's my feet, shins and knees started giving me bother.

I had done a few runs on fire tracks before with a pair of NB's with no issue, but the Salomon's seem very rigid and unforgiving on hard services - even now when taking the dog on tarmac to a Glen I get pains.

Has anyone else had these issues with salomon and can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Rob,

I’ve got a pair of Speed Cross 4 and the sole is basically the same.

They’re not really meant for “ hard “ ground, as there’s very little cushioning. Plus the lugs wear out very quickly on hard ground too.

If you can afford it, I’d get another more cushioned pair for the hard stuff.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I used Speedcrosses for several versions. They used to be my favorite trail shoe. They are 10mm drop and now that my other shoes are 4 to 6 mm drop I need something a bit lower. Out of several I have tried I now prefer Hoka Challenger ATR for transition and good trails. They are fine except for rooty pine trails. There I might prefer Hoka Speedgoats because the tread locks onto roots better. They are both known for cushioning. I also have used Inov8s but they for me had a strange dead, close to the ground feel. I also like La Sportiva Helios for more ground feel and a slipper-like fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used Speedcrosses for several versions. They used to be my favorite trail shoe. They are 10mm drop and now that my other shoes are 4 to 6 mm drop I need something a bit lower. Out of several I have tried I now prefer Hoka Challenger ATR for transition and good trails. They are fine except for rooty pine trails. There I might prefer Hoka Speedgoats because the tread locks onto roots better. They are both known for cushioning. I also have used Inov8s but they for me had a strange dead, close to the ground feel. I also like La Sportiva Helios for more ground feel and a slipper-like fit.
I`m a massive fan of the Speedgoats too, as they manage to combine the best of both worlds - they`re close fitting, whicb locks your feet in and also very cushioned too.

They`re quite narrow though and as always with Hoka you need to size up by at least half a size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts