Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you race with blinkers on?
That is, do you notice things when you are racing or are you so focused on the race that all you see is the road in front of you?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I run with blinkers on :) Until I get to the sea then the smell makes me more alert

Just me, my feet and my breathing. I get acutely aware of my legs and how they are feeling.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I do notice things.. but only things in front of me - I (try to) pay no attention to what's going on behind me; looking back is negative and seems to slow me down! lol.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I race with blinkers on... towards the end I focus on picking off runners, especially ladies ;)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Generally, if its a hilly course or I'm trying to finish fast, I run with blinkers on. The rest of the time, I'll take in the scenery ahead of me and might chat to some of the other runners.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I'm always aware of myself and surroundings - I pay attention to others and if I see someone struggling I send them a few words of encouragement - towards the finish line I become more concentrated as the sprint begins, then I am only aware of trying to pick people or a PB off! :d

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I try to worry more about what I'm doing, but in my last race I started to notice things around me, like Peter Pans playground and thinking for god's sake surely I'm closer to the finish than that!:lol:
I also noticed the bloke in front of me throwing up as I approached him,which was a good thing as it gave me time to side step.:sick::lol:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I also race with blinkers on - apart from when I am looking out for friendly marshals I know :) I tend to try and pick of people ahead of me and aim to get past them - but sometimes they 'get me back' - and I find that really annoying!

Smalls sometimes really get to me though - like on the Kenilworth Half there was a long stretch of manury country smell - it almost made me heave! Also in this one race there was this strong sausage/hotdog smell coming from this fair - also made me want to heave! And vomit which I ran through - so I was stuck with that for a while!! :(

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
good point SB! Smells whilst racing are just horrible... even things that normally you enjoy the smell of can just smell so unappealing while you're racing

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
sorry ill try to run down wind of you next time
Dont worry - any smells you make are masked by all that Deep Heat you wear! That smell is quite nice actually... in fact I once used a blob of Tiger Balm under my nose to stop nasty smells and keep my nasal passages nice and open...(top tip!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts