Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking around the fringes of this site for a couple of weeks now, I’ve come to the conclusion that you lot are the only ones who can help me…

Brief history: 15 years of physical neglect led to legs like pipe-cleaners, a pot belly and buttocks that a 70 year old man would be ashamed of (form an orderly queue there ladies…)
So, as a 40th birthday “treat” I decided to enter a marathon, and after 9 months of training I completed the Florence marathon in November last year.

I now have an unhealthy obsession with doing another one – my problem is – I want to go fast (or should that be “fast” – it’s all relative). I have an urge that I just can’t control – as I’m on a training run, I go faster than I know my body can handle with the inevitable result that sooner or later I get an injury. It’s INSANE – I know exactly what I’m doing but I can’t stop myself. HELP.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
following any specific kind of training program ?

make sure your training sessions have purpose so you know what your aim for that session is... and it's not always to run yourself into the ground!

at one extreme maybe even get a coahc to draw up a schedule and guide those sessions.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm afraid that you're the only person who can help you, lest we physically turn up and put a leash on you. Otherwise the only suggestion I have is to listen to slow music whilst running... In any case, just make sure that you're eating properly and doing absolutely anything else you can do to counteract any chance of injury.

Good luck.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hi,

I think the answer could be to join a local running club and get some structure into your running schedule.

Not every run needs to be at "buster blood vessel pace"....you only need to do 3 good runs a week...a speed/hill session, a tempo run and a long slow run. Add to this as you feel able but only at a steady/easy pace and not too long a distance. That's roughly what I do anyway!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply - I'm trying the Hal Higdon beginners program- which would be fine if it wasn't for the voices in my head making me go faster...

A coach would be a great idea - I might hunt around to see if there are any running clubs in the area

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
lest we physically turn up and put a leash on you.
You have no shame a-n-s........................ 25191912_whip.gif

...................... tongue10.gif

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
What was your time in Florence Steve ?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Promise not to laugh? 4 hours 48 mins. My idea of a "fast" time would be around 4 hours. Like I said, it's all relative...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi SS

Welcome to RF.

Well done on your first marathon, and it is great that you are still keen to want to keep running too.

Only you can slow yourself down, I think you must have a natural fast twitch permanently swithed on :d

I think joining a club would be a great idea, I hope you find something.

TT

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
No laughing from me Steve.

I`ve never run a marathon,so all credit to you.....

If I did, 4 hours would do for me.........

By the way Steve,is this you.................. headphones.gif ...........:d

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TT

It's quickly dawning on me that Runners Forum doesn't provide miracles - just sound, practical advice and a lot of support.

Hopefully, now that I've "outed" my problem, I'll be able to do something about it rather than making the same mistakes over and over again.

By the way: How does anyone get any work done when they're on RF???

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Finding a club sounds like the way to go, can't then jsut speed off on your own.

Your Marathon time sounds fine to me, I'd be happy if I get that for mine :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
You don't get any work done I'm afraid you get caught up in the abyss that is RF.

Great marathon time by the way never be ashamed :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Slowsteve said:
Thanks TT

By the way: How does anyone get any work done when they're on RF???
Get a job in computing and it becomes part of the job !! :d - checking external connectivity etc.!

·
Registered
133 Posts
No shame in your marathon time, I can't run 3 miles let alone 26 of them! As for the fast thing- sorry can't help there either, I'm a bit of a plodder myself and for me its cool. Try going for a run without your watch, just plodding at a steady pace. You'll have no idea how long it takes and it won't matter, you'll be out there just because you can!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding my marathon time - you're a bunch of flatterers!!
But thanks anyway - I feel all warm and fuzzy inside

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd agree with ed_m entirely, if every run has a purpose, you'll know why you're completing that run and in theory stick to the recommended pace.

Good to hear that you are following some kind of program at the moment, though one question would be whether the hard runs are hard enough? If all your runs are fairly easily paced then you probably will find yourself aching to pick up the pace, if however your hard runs are incredibly hard, you'll probably be feeling it the next day which should hopefully help you respect your easy runs ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Amen! I love my easy runs! I don't want to not run, but I couldn't do long/fast runs every day, I'd soon burn out and just want to give up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm... thanks Richard - it took about six goes before I understood your message but you may be onto something. All of my runs are at a very steady pace - Last week I did two midweek 3-milers at more or less the same pace as the weekend 7-miler.
Maybe a bit of variety is needed.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi Steve How about substitututing some of your runs for say a cycle or a swim
Still a good work out !

Now repeat after me I can, I will, I must .....SLOW DOWN !!!!!!;)

Take it easy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts