Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pretty rubbish about getting back into training now that my foot is (mostly) better and the realisation that it's more than just about my inherent laziness has finally dawned on me.

I'm constantly worried that I'm going to injure my foot again and be right back at square one. I know that I can't tell while I'm running whether I'm overdoing it, which doesn't help. I did the whole Race for Life with just a few twinges - and I wouldn't have noticed those if I hadn't been alert for them. And 3 days later, lo and behold I couldn't walk. So I keep making excuses to myself and finding reasons not to go to the gym, or out for a run. Because if I don't run, I won't hurt it, and then I won't be not able to run. Logical huh? Don't you just love the way the human mind works? <lol>

Has anyone experienced this, and is there any way to deal with it, other than giving oneself a stern talking to? I've just done that, BTW, having just come back from the gym buzzing and realising how much I've been missing it.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Getting confidence back is hard but as you say a good talking to does help and then go out with a run/walk plan so that you don't feel under pressure to run the whole time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think a run/walk plan is a good idea. I have also found a heart rate monitor helps me to keep control of how hard I am working cos I am also rubbish at knowing when I am overdoing it or not, and so kept getting injured. And keep a log of your running so that you can easily make sure that you haven't increased your running too quickly. It's easy to think that you haven't done that much more when you don't see the totals in black and white.

Also, maybe worth mixing it up with some cross training eg cycling, swimming etc so that you are using different muscles and taking the strain off your legs.

These are all things that have helped me get back after a string of injuries.

Good luck with your return to running - the fact that you WANT to do it means that you probably will even if you are finding it hard to start (if that makes sense!)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A run/walk plan is essential - I still hadn't graduated from one when I injured myself. In fact, it was probably trying to reduce the walk content too quickly that did for me.

I definitely want to do this running thing - I've even started looking at possible routes for when I go to Vancouver on holiday! Now that is a first - me thinking about doing exercise on holiday :eek:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
All the best in your recovery - I've been there 3 times now since starting running last September - I know that "want to run but am scared to run in case I do more damage and therefore can't run even though I'm not running anyway feeling" all to well!

I've got back each time though - so it can be done. Good luck :d

·
Registered
635 Posts
I know that feeling, but when it's good I go with it and if a twinge or pain comes along deal with it.

I too had been over doing training (nothing to do with either injury:rolleyes:) I could feel my heart going even while reasting in bed. After some lay off time the heart thing went.

I think you have to be realistic while running, it's fine to push yourself a little but over doing it is diffrent.

Not much help but give running ago and see how you feel. Good luck:)

·
Registered
353 Posts
A run/walk plan is essential - I still hadn't graduated from one when I injured myself. In fact, it was probably trying to reduce the walk content too quickly that did for me.

I definitely want to do this running thing - I've even started looking at possible routes for when I go to Vancouver on holiday! Now that is a first - me thinking about doing exercise on holiday :eek:
Same here BPC. I think I dropped with walking time too quick and bust my knee. it's been 11 days since and I still cant walk far never mind running. I'm depressed and scared at the same time and motivatioin is dropping fast. I REALLY WANT TO GET OUT THERE.

How are you feeling about things now?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are you feeling about things now?
Right now I've got a splitting headache and just want to go home to bed :(

Other than that, I think the fact that I can still walk after a bit of a jog/walk and cycle in the gym yesterday is making me feel a bit more positive. I just need to make sure I increase the time/distance really slowly this time.

I hope your knee gets better soon.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Awww :(

Glad you had a good gym session at least, BPC :) Your keenness to exercise is unchanged, so you will get back into it one day :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Right now I've got a splitting headache and just want to go home to bed :(

Other than that, I think the fact that I can still walk after a bit of a jog/walk and cycle in the gym yesterday is making me feel a bit more positive. I just need to make sure I increase the time/distance really slowly this time.

I hope your knee gets better soon.
Excellent stuff that you went to the gym. Sounds like your progressing just fine :happy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts