Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else run along some fairly busy roads? I have a route along the A40 to Gloucester and, although it's paved for the full 20+ miles, it's only ever on one side and it switches quite often and quite suddenly...

I had a target max HR of 160bpm set on my monitor and I swear the only time it beeped at me was when I had to cross the (national speed limit) road!! :s

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Heed doon haud chapping for those cases. I sometimes run on busy roads, I just keep running towards the oncoming traffic and close to the kerb when there is not path.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I try and avoid the busy roads, not that there are many in these parts. Rather than keeping to the kerb (well, there's no kerb along almost all of my routes) I have to stick to almost the middle so that cars can see me, there'd be no hope if the hedge was in the way...only about 0.3 miles of my 5 mile route has footway.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I used to do a 20mile route which took me along the A1 for a couple of miles...nice fumes!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Being mostly out in the country a lot of my running is on quieter windy roads, but I find these worse as people just never seem to "heaven forbid" prepare themselves to possibly see something round the corner, so bomb along round blind bends. I've found the best routes I can to avoid trouble but this didn't avoid me having to dive onto a verge the other week....where there was no verge, leaving me impaled on a bush. The things us runners do hey.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Just got a lot of quiet streets, a few nasty junctions, but mainly either quiet backstreets or woods/canal paths.

Lot of motorways sprawled here and there, but I've not tried running along the hard shoulder :d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
One or two of my routes also take me on windy roads with blind corners, on these the Ipod gets turned down and my route almost zigzags from the edge to the middle where I can see round and be seen round the corners. This method usually gains me a few metres advantage to take avoiding action and allow the car to slow.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
lately I seem to be forever crossing the roads to make sure I've never on the inside of a blind corner - I know what you mean Ollie, because the roads are usually quiet, people hammer it round and look at you in disgust if they need to slow down to get ruond you! :mad:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
people hammer it round and look at you in disgust if they need to slow down to get ruond you! :mad:
I look in disgust at drivers if they don't stop to let me run in front of them at junctions :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts