Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Newbie to the forum, but have been running for about 5-6 years. We are planning on visiting Switzerland for 2 weeks (were planning September or otherwise April/May) and were thinking of running a marathon in that time (are willing to travel for a great marathon).
Our first thought was the Jungfrau marathon, but are open to any other marathons in Europe worth running. Especially for the scenery. If you have run a great marathon, which one would you recommend and why?
Thanks
Marche

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
Newbie to the forum, but have been running for about 5-6 years. We are planning on visiting Switzerland for 2 weeks (were planning September or otherwise April/May) and were thinking of running a marathon in that time (are willing to travel for a great marathon).
Our first thought was the Jungfrau marathon, but are open to any other marathons in Europe worth running. Especially for the scenery. If you have run a great marathon, which one would you recommend and why?
Thanks
Marche
I live in Switzerland so can give you a Swiss perspective. In April May there are only lower level flat marathons, as the mountains still have plenty of snow around at that time. Zurich and Geneva come to mind. Both have reasonable scenery on a clear day, but nothing like an Alpine run. Zurich has the benefit of being very flat, in case you are after a personal best. But: these are corona times, there is more than a fair chance they may be cancelled.

The Jungfrau marathon is a classic for sure, and my favourite as a blend of excitement, scenery, and atmosphere. However, it sells out quickly and is sold out. That said, there are some charity spots available for CHF 500 each, which seems reasonable if you can raise that. Alternatively, there is a facebook page where closer to the race you can normally find a ticket to buy. For me though, it's just the greatest race - as long as it is good weather, which it normally is but you can never tell.

In June July there is also the Davos Swiss Alpine which is probably my second favourite route. The scenery is not quite so good but it is still a great run. There is also the Zermatt Marathon, where you can tack on a further 3.5km which finishes higher with a better view - certainly amazing views on that one - but it is a rather brutal finish.

If you need any further help feel free to contact me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts