Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dates have been announced for the East Coast Series of Half Marathons for next year.

Edinburgh Half Marathon
Sunday 5th April 2009, 9.00am
Run Edinburgh 2009 - Welcome

Dunfermline City Half Marathon
Sunday 10th May 2009, 11.00am
Run Dunfermline 2009 - Welcome

Dundee City Half Marathon
Sunday 21st June 2009, 9.30am
Run Dundee 2009 - Welcome

I plan on entering them all again this year but will need to wait until next month when I have some dosh :)
Anyone else thinking about doing all 3 or even just 1 or 2?

O.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did Edinburgh and Dunfermline last year, so I will try and enter all three. I think you get a small discount if you enter all three at the same time dont you?

Half the fun is trying to beat your previous best, isnt it?

I noticed Edinburgh is now the "Chris Hoy" half marathon, named after the famous Olympic, er, track cyclist.:huh:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
The dates have been announced for the East Coast Series of Half Marathons for next year.

Edinburgh Half Marathon
Sunday 5th April 2009, 9.00am
Run Edinburgh 2009 - Welcome

Dunfermline City Half Marathon
Sunday 10th May 2009, 11.00am
Run Dunfermline 2009 - Welcome

Dundee City Half Marathon
Sunday 21st June 2009, 9.30am
Run Dundee 2009 - Welcome

I plan on entering them all again this year but will need to wait until next month when I have some dosh :)
Anyone else thinking about doing all 3 or even just 1 or 2?

O.

Good for you O. do you plan to try and pb on each one?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would love to get a PB on each one, I did this year, start off on about 2:10, then 2:04 then sub 2 hours :)

The edinburgh half is starting from a different location this year so not sure how they are going to do it. Starting from Meadowbank sports center and finishing at Musselburgh race course. Its a supper race and the flattest of the three races.

Dunfermline is just a hill, youre either going up one or down one....tough but enjoyable.

Dundee is quite flat with a hill about the 11 mile mark but then its downhill to the finish line.

Saying that, they may change all three courses and be completely different.

You do get a discount if you apply to enter 2 or more at the same time, I also get a £2 discount for each race because I have Scottish Athletics membership but its still about £60 for the three races.

edit: Just noticed Dunfermline have put their course on mapmyrun.com already.
Dunfermline 2009 This is annoying that they have kept the route the same, two laps of the course :( Didnt like doing that, much prefer point to point races.

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Edinburgh is a nice scenic route, takes you all the way up the coast from Edinburgh to Musselburgh. Running along the side of the Forth.
Dunfermline is just a run around the town.
Dundee is a run along the river Tay out towards Monifeith, again very scenic.

Go on JB! Might as well get 2 races under your belt next year! :)

edit: Just read this on the Edinburgh website:

"With a new course for 2009, which starts in a more central location in Edinburgh on the track at Meadowbank Stadium, this new route will take runners out of central Edinburgh to the Firth of Forth coast at Portobello before heading southwards towards a grandstand finish at Musselburgh Racecourse."

Sounds like fun, starting actually on the track at Meadowbank and then heading down to Portobello and along the coast. Should be a really nice run.

O.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting about the Meadowbank start for Edinburgh. I wouldnt be surprised if they incorporated a lap of Holyrood to make up the mileage. It cant be more than 5 miles from Meadowbank to Musselbrough as the crow flies. I cat wait, I used to stay down Easter road, and did a fair bit of running round there. Its my "Home" turf, if you will.

I know what you mean about the lap routes, Owain, but I would look at it from another perspective. After the first circuit you know the terrain more or less and can kind of judge your pace accordingly. Also, I liked the Dunfermline one where you double back on yourself so you can see how far ahead the leaders are, and also how far of the back markers you are. I thought it was quite a good course, and varied between open roads, parklands and even a few cobbles in the town centre. Its great to have shoppers cheering you on aswell!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I was hoping to enter Edinburgh half in preparation for the full distance, but it just doesn't fit in with my mileage build up - 7 months to go and I've already got my training plan worked out.

Looks like I'll have to stick to a couple of West Coast races.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Grant you're so organised, all I know is I'm doing the marathon!

Thanks for the info Owain, I'll definately do Edinburgh, I'm very tempted to do all three but also want to do the BUPA great run which will be in May and suspect it might clash with Dunfermline. Don't want to wear myself out with too much racing before the marathon either - how did you find doing all three and the marathon?

Streako I live just round the corner from Easter road and go to my bodypump at meadowbank, I'm really excited about racing on my home turf. Think it will make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the 2 before the full marathon was good training to be honest. It worked in well and as long as you don't over do it during the races I think it made me a stronger runner for the full distance. Put it this way, Im doing it again this year and will probably not change a great deal in the way I trained for it last year other than get some more miles under my belt and try and bring my PB time down :)

O.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Edinburgh half will be my first, if i get on allright i might do one of the others, i've only done two 10k races before but my training is coming along and i just love my running, im not sure about the summer months, i don't like the sun/heat

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Doulsy,
Edinburgh was my first half and I enjoyed it so much I instantly signed up for Dunfermline and then Dundee :) All the best with your training, don't worry about the sun/heat....you live in the UK we don't get either of them :d

O.

·
Registered
295 Posts
right thats me gonna start a twelve week plan, not been out that much recently with one thing or another, looking forward now:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm definitely in for Edinburgh, will be my first half and can't wait - apart from it scaring the hell out of me! The route actually seems quite forgiving, I've cycled almost the same path a lot. Basically downhill from Meadowbank through Leith Links to Seafield Road then the coastal route is flat apart from some small hills in and around Prestonpans. Looking forward to the Porty prom section as I lived there till recently, should have some supporters outside a pub called the Espy right on the beach as I worked there for about 5 months last year :d

If it goes well I may sign up for Dundee too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Half series

I stay in Dunfermline and the route is pretty much my training route - not v, scenic tho. Was up for the east series until my boss threw in a bit of a grenade when he suggested the Geneva 1/2! Think it co-incides with the Dunfermline race on 10/5/09 and with cheap flights is very, very appealing!

Hope I am not running before I can walk - so to speak - as these are my first races!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually enjoyed Dunfermline. As well as getting my PB, I thought the route was quite varied with parkland, old town, housing estates, etc.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts