Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I havejust started what I call proper training having quit in 2000 ....

Three 5k's down and all low 24 mins which is pants but the legs are there its just the lungs that are groaning

On my old race 10ks I used to go through 5k around the 18 min mark but ended up coming in a 1min slower at the end ...

Maybe you will say dont go out so fast but any suggestions of training that might balance this out?:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure about other people, but ive found that my lungs have got better far quicker than my legs. Like you, when i started out it was my lungs that were holding me back but now its my legs.

I'd suggest keep doing what your doing really, but alot of people on here have also said that intervals are the best way to improve your fitness so maybe incorporate that?

J

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I think learning to pace a race can only come with experience, the only thing I can think of in training that may help (though it could just as easily have no effect!) is to force yourself to run a section at race pace at the end of a training run - perhaps teaching the body to push on harder when it's tired?

As I say, it may be useless, but the only way I can think to overcome such a problem is to recreate it in training and get your body used to running as you want it to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers ...

I think some tempo runs or fartelk will help a bit, I am way off where I was 10 years ago shock but I was young and daft then so I might actually race better ...

:confused:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i always run try to run faster in the second half of the race... even if you are trying to run harder most people seem to run it slower as they are tired... my secret is i start slowly... it sounds obvious but few people run slowly at the very start... even in a 5k i started off slowly... i even had a little girl overtaking me at the start :d ... but seriously when it came to this little hill half a minute later half of them were dead and i flew past most of them even though i was going at the same speed... so be careful with sprinting off at the start... you have to be very good to be able to pull of running faster in the first half of the race... i don't think it is a good tactic for someone new... i normally push myself faster near the half way point and save the sprinting for the finish line... that works for me ...

·
Registered
272 Posts
You could try building up the pace every 10 minutes on a training run. First 10 nice and steady, next 10mins about 20s/mile quicker, next 10mins 20s/mile quicker again - then 10 mins steady again to finish? That should get the lungs and legs working?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Revenged... I can see how your tactic works for most races, as people do tend to go off too quick, and your tactic certainly is less painful, but for those searching for a PB in a 5k, it's usually better to aim for a slightly quicker first half, and hang on in the 2nd half :) Of course if the first half is done too quickly, it'll be a complete waste of time and a painful 2nd half of the race!

Note though, that's only the case for 5k's virtually all other races you're better off running a negative split ;)

Particularly important (as you say revenged) is the very start, a highly elevated pace at the start will see increased levels of lactic acid (read: discomfort) for the rest of the race ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try some tempo runs and go out slowly and then build up and see if I can control the start better ....

I reckon if I could control my first half better then I would have been sub 35 for 10 k 10 years ago

Mind you I am supposed to be more mature now I am a Vet COUGH :embarrassed:

I am off on the track today so I think I will do some 800's

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Revenged... I can see how your tactic works for most races, as people do tend to go off too quick, and your tactic certainly is less painful, but for those searching for a PB in a 5k, it's usually better to aim for a slightly quicker first half, and hang on in the 2nd half :) Of course if the first half is done too quickly, it'll be a complete waste of time and a painful 2nd half of the race!

Note though, that's only the case for 5k's virtually all other races you're better off running a negative split ;)

Particularly important (as you say revenged) is the very start, a highly elevated pace at the start will see increased levels of lactic acid (read: discomfort) for the rest of the race ;)
ok, i'll bear that in mind... might even try it next race...

but i still think you need to be very careful if you are doing that...

you really have to but very good to pull that off and know your pace well (which i don't with doing only a few races)...

it is very easy to run too fast for the first half for 5k and then majorly struggle half way around...

at least my way i get to overtake people at the end instead of being overtaken :cool:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Definately... there's a very fine line between your optimum race time and completely blowing it by going off too fast - and passing people at the end is such a psychological boost compared to being overtaken which is just completely draining. :(

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ha... it's always going to happen though...

i overtook someone on the way to the finish line once and they shout 'well done'...

some of these runners are well nice... :d

1 - 11 of 11 Posts