Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I've found that when I've run, for say two hours, I have terrible chafing just below both armpits, to the point where I have bled. It's not so much my clothes (I've worn many different running tops) but it doesn't make any difference. At the moment I'm simply applying vaseline all the time and also Germoline to try and heal as much as possible before the next run. Trying to change my running technique to more like the style of Paula Radcliffe (arms out to the side) but it feels quite unnatural. Any bright ideas?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use a product called Bodyglide which is now available from most running shops and find it not only works better than vaseline but does not stain kit. However, it is fairly expensive.

Tip: don't do a websearch for this product as you will get dodgy sites. Go to one of the online running shops to look.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Cheryl... I used to have the same problem and I find vasoline works fine for me. I wouldn't try and change your running style if I was you though... not for a chafing problem anyway... you might end up picking up an injury if you're not running comfortably.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) Thanks for the replies. Not heard of Bodyglide before but will certainly look into this. Most helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
healing

just a point on the healing of chaffing, no need for antiseptic creams, normal good hygeine is fine. Also you may notice the dry, non creamed area heals quicker. Try it, cream one side, leave the other with nothing. You may be surprised.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quite offended really

:mad: This has nothing to do with good hygiene I'll have you know! This is down to spending hours on the treadmill - obviously my gym is air-conditioned but you just don't get the same amount of air circulating as you do outside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have chaffing issues so the Body Glide info is most useful. I have found that Sudocrem works really well as a post running treatment, also good for split heals. I know it is most commonly used for nappy rash, but I have found it works really well.

The other thing I have found is that some of the chaffing comes from my clothes wearing out and the chaffing occurs where the seams are going. So it may not be about having clean clothes, but ones that arn't worn.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's just something that I put up with now - I have permanent scarring just below my armpits but the Body Glide is very good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts