Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I tend to stop off in service stations quite often to get a snack, I've been trying (with a lot of difficulty) to find some food in them thats healthy.

Does anyone know if Tracker Bars are fairly healthy? They dont seem to contain anything nasty but there 9.3g of fat per bar which seems a lot. I'm assuming that this is from the nuts in it though.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Why don't you keep a bag of mixed nuts in the car with you as they are healthy, and are a good source of energy, or fruit. :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
dimple said:
Why don't you keep a bag of mixed nuts in the car with you as they are healthy, and are a good source of energy, or fruit. :)
Or oranges, bananas. If you've had a good breakfast, I find they're all you need to get you through the day to meal times.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Singularity said:
As I tend to stop off in service stations quite often to get a snack, I've been trying (with a lot of difficulty) to find some food in them thats healthy.

Does anyone know if Tracker Bars are fairly healthy? They dont seem to contain anything nasty but there 9.3g of fat per bar which seems a lot. I'm assuming that this is from the nuts in it though.
Anyway, isn't it rather dangerous to do your running on the motorway? I would've thought that nutrition would be the least of your worries! ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm on the road a lot with my job and I know what you mean. The Ginsters cabinet can be too tempting sometimes!
Lots of water,trail mix,fruit etc in the car. Grapes are good as there's no waste to bin.

·
Registered
835 Posts
pedestrian said:
Anyway, isn't it rather dangerous to do your running on the motorway? I would've thought that nutrition would be the least of your worries! ;)
Yeah, but fantastic mile markers, thoughit does become a bit like the treadmill (miles of straight and level road). Biggest problem is the abuse you get from passing motorists.....bloody cheek ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
scr8pe said:
Yeah, but fantastic mile markers, thoughit does become a bit like the treadmill (miles of straight and level road). Biggest problem is the abuse you get from passing motorists.....bloody cheek ;)

For a while in the early 80's I used to run on a stretch of the M56 in Lancashire (it was still under construction at that point). Great surface, and really flat; but you can never really get a real sense of the speed that you're going, as you never actually feel to be getting anywhere (a bit like most of the Great North Run)!
It's great to remember being able to RUN on a traffic-free motorway, though.:d

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ah, traffic free motorways. I can just about remember them as a child.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
my my what a quick hyjack :p

i live in between towns and my village is small there is not a lot of places to run, but to get to next town i would have to go down fast A road, am i allowed to run down it.

Also prepacked sandwiches generally are high in fat etc.... and pies and pasties are a no no :p ... i eat shredded wheat bitesize as a snack... dont whistle though :p

Handy to stuff in your car.

Fruit etc is good and raisins are handy little things to keep. i keep diet pepsi and chewing gum to stop me getting tempted at garages. :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Goody two shoes :p

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Leece, the only roads you can't run on are Motorways, everything else is fine just remember to run facing the oncoming traffic.

I used to spend a lot of time on the road driving, burger vans fast food and service stations were my staple diet. So long as you drink diet coke or irn bru you can eat what you like from these places!! Well I blamed my expanding waistline on food I ate at home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts