Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've talked about it for a while at our club and now we are taking the first steps towards setting up our own race!!:eek: I thought a record of the trials and tribulations involved would be of interest.......and of course if anyone can make suggestions or advise in any way please do! :d

Actually the club did a few years ago run a 5m road race but that fell by the wayside as there was insufficient support and the organisation became tricky. :mad:

This time we plan an off road race on a local park estate...details will be divulged if and when we are able to confirm the possibilty of running there.

In the meantime the opening gambit was played a couple of weeks ago by a fellow club member suggesting we contact the park estate by email to see if they would even consider the idea. After a short delay we got the nod and were invited to meet the chief honcho at the park estate to discuss what we would like to do, that is a trail run of around 8/9miles, and the possible numbers involved.

We are now awaiting a response back relating to when the race could be held and the likely cost...the latter could knock the plan on the head before it even gets off the ground, so fingers crossed!! :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Cool Steve I hope it is a success for you :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Steve said:
We've talked about it for a while at our club and now we are taking the first steps towards setting up our own race!!:eek: I thought a record of the trials and tribulations involved would be of interest.......and of course if anyone can make suggestions or advise in any way please do! :d

Actually the club did a few years ago run a 5m road race but that fell by the wayside as there was insufficient support and the organisation became tricky. :mad:

This time we plan an off road race on a local park estate...details will be divulged if and when we are able to confirm the possibilty of running there.

In the meantime the opening gambit was played a couple of weeks ago by a fellow club member suggesting we contact the park estate by email to see if they would even consider the idea. After a short delay we got the nod and were invited to meet the chief honcho at the park estate to discuss what we would like to do, that is a trail run of around 8/9miles, and the possible numbers involved.

We are now awaiting a response back relating to when the race could be held and the likely cost...the latter could knock the plan on the head before it even gets off the ground, so fingers crossed!! :d

ill be there to help out of course :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LEECE said:
ill be there to help out of course :p

Thank you.....very brave of you to step forward as a volunteer when there'll be so much to do...if it gets the go ahead that is!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
Thank you.....very brave of you to step forward as a volunteer when there'll be so much to do...if it gets the go ahead that is!
Make sure Leece sets an early alarm Steve.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Dave said:
Make sure Leece sets an early alarm Steve.
*throws her celery at dave :p

Just keep em coming :asleep: :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LEECE said:
*throws her celery at dave :p

Just keep em coming :asleep: :d
That's good of you Leece..Dave's trying to lose that final 3lb so the celery should help!!:d ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good luck, Steve.
we just turn up to these races and often take for granted the immense preparation and groundwork that goes into providing these events for people. I bet the organisers of massive events must breathe a sigh of relief at the end of the day.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Thanks Leece.............. celery.gif ..............;)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
oohhhh how cute .... looks a bit like Ron Hill, actually he looks more like 118 :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LEECE said:
oohhhh how cute .... looks a bit like Ron Hill, actually he looks more like 118 :p

Was worried for a mo...thought you were going to say looks a bit like Steve.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.

We've now been given a price by the park estate to hire the grounds for the event..£400. FAIR OR NOT?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Time to start doing the maths Steve.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Difficult to do with any accuracy Dave....100 entrants at a tenner each...£1000 less £400 leaves £600 for St Johns, insurance, trophies, sundries..ie signs/tape/coffees...what else?

We're not looking to make a profit.

Hopefully we'd get closer to 175 entrants but who knows?

Also we've been given two dates...27/9 this year and 2nd weekend in April next year. Latter would clash with London one way or the other.

Is the 27/9 this year too soon I wonder. Don't want to make a hash of it. Wiser to plan for September 2009?

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would go with next year, better planning and all then, first race has to be a good one.

Steve an idea perhaps we can all (all LRR members) give our medals in for recycling and use them for our planned race at the finish LOL ::d:

I am sure they wont mind all different venues and dates on them :d

I am sure Mrs Steve can knock up Chilli con carnie for 175 racers at the end also. ;)

BE a first environmentally friendly recycling race club :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LEECE said:
Steve an idea perhaps we can all (all LRR members) give our medals in for recycling and use them for our planned race at the finish LOL ::d:

I am sure they wont mind all different venues and dates on them :d

BE a first environmentally friendly recycling race club :rolleyes:
There's a thought..........and we could give each runner a litter picker thingy to run with and pick up litter on the way round!

BTW, SWMBO doesn't make the Chilli.........:d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
See what i bring to the table ................. any more help YOU just let me know !!!

OOHHH sorry then you can make chilli for 175.

Ill print out the mile markers and signs and get the tape from work (wink) etc........

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I will!!

Bring laptop and some sports bras to sell.........

That would be helpful....you better not lose/change you job then!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts