Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tempted to do a duathlon and have found a local one in four weeks time. The distance is 10k/40k/5k. I think I can do the distance but I won't be particularly quick. I think it will take me around 3hrs15mins to 3hrs30.

My concern is that I guess duathlon are done by more serious athletes and I am going to be quite out of place. Especially as it's the end of the season so everyone else will probably be at there quickest.

Have people that have done them found them friendly? Anyone been in a similar position? Not sure if I am confident enough!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Previous years results is a good plan, I'm running my first half marathon in a couple of weeks, I looked at last year's results before I entered just to check I wasn't going to be last man on course. I will be fairly near the tail end of the field but that's fine.

I quite fancy doing a duathlon next year, I think that should suit me, the time I lose in the running section i should be able to make up on the bike, my cycling is much stronger than my running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked times for the last couple of races I am definitely going to place at the back or within the last 5 or so places. Looks like there have only been 70-80 people doing it. Guess it depends if I can take finishing at the back!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I finished last in my standard distance triathlon this year, got the biggest cheer and actually was really proud to have come n in last place because do you know what I finished and I did it for myself, think everyone should experience coming last at least once, it is actually quite liberating and more emotional than coming in the middle of the field.
If you want to do it, go for it, you are challenging yourself nobody else matters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I have signed up. Only got 3 weeks until race day so I've got some tough training coming up!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I finished last in my standard distance triathlon this year, got the biggest cheer and actually was really proud to have come n in last place because do you know what I finished and I did it for myself, think everyone should experience coming last at least once, it is actually quite liberating and more emotional than coming in the middle of the field.
If you want to do it, go for it, you are challenging yourself nobody else matters.
I think women are better at that than men. I'm tempted to do a duathlon or even a triathlon but won't do so until I'm sure I won't be last. My wife however did a ladies only tri a few years back and there were lots of women in that just giving it a go - using mountain or even shopping bikes. Despite not being a quick swimmer and, at that point, not having done a 5K without walking stints she was still a long way from being last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts