Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently thinking of getting a proper pair of running shorts to add to my current thigh length ones (finish about 4" above the knee) having the disability of being middle aged, I'm not sure that I am brave enough to wear almost hot pants length attire in front of my daughters let alone any friends who might happen to see me out running. What do folks think? Bear all or save my blushes? :embarrassed:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Do it do it... why else do we have children if not to embarrass them ;)

But if you're out running while wearing said short shorts and see you children out with their mates you must make every effort to get their attention :rolleyes:

·
Registered
707 Posts
You say this but I cringe whenever I see ANYONE (hawt or not) in very short shorts - although like I was telling my housemate when he said "you look like a fashionable runner now" when I was showing him my new clothes, it's not about the way you look! So if you see a functional reason then go for it!

(and I was a bit hurt - what was so unfashionable about my old crappy black leggins?)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Hot pants running shorts make me run faster, but only to catch up on the woman wearing them!!!!

I must say it can sometimes lead to dissapointment, and a fast burst having to be sustained for quite a long period to get past and out of sight!!

Squint

·
Registered
664 Posts
Trinity said:
Do it do it... why else do we have children if not to embarrass them ;)

But if you're out running while wearing said short shorts and see you children out with their mates you must make every effort to get their attention :rolleyes:
I agree with Trinity. You are duty bound to wear the short shorts, and make sure as many people as possible see you in them. Folk who know me were so stunned at me taking up this running malarkey in my 50s that my attire is the least of their concerns !

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The only time I ever wear shorts whilst running is during a race, or when the temperature is over 30 deg.C. Otherwise It's the usual Tracksters for me!
I can never get over how many people I see during the cold winter months who are out running wearing hats, gloves, long-sleeved tops/waterproofs and shorts. Surely it's just as important (maybe even more important) for the legs to be warm, seeing as they're supposed to be doing most of the work. Muscles work best when they're warm, don't they? View attachment 361

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pedestrian said:
The only time I ever wear shorts whilst running is during a race, or when the temperature is over 30 deg.C. Otherwise It's the usual Tracksters for me!
I can never get over how many people I see during the cold winter months who are out running wearing hats, gloves, long-sleeved tops/waterproofs and shorts. Surely it's just as important (maybe even more important) for the legs to be warm, seeing as they're supposed to be doing most of the work. Muscles work best when they're warm, don't they? View attachment 361
Welcome back pedestrian, glad to see up and running again (pardon the pun) albeit a bit slower. I'm sure you'll be up to speed before long!

I'm one of your shorts (and never a hat!) in all weathers brigade. In very, very cold weather I wear gloves (but only for the first 2 miles or so) and a light rain coat other than that it's pretty much the same attire as in the summer. There's something quite sadistic about running past walkers that are dressed for the artic when you are wearing just a tee shirt and a pair of shorts with sweat on your forehead!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
My Dad once made the mistake of embarrassing me whilst in the high street, we needed to cross the road and just as we were about to go he grabbed my hand and shouted "NOW HOLD DADDYS HAND WHILE WE CROSS THE ROAD", I was 14 at the time a very tender age and easily embarrassed. However, we reap what we sow.

One morning my Dad had decided he was going to go for a bike ride and he had all the get up on lycra leggings all the tight fitting stuff, stack hat etc (he had only just got into this and so was very self conscious), he asked me to shut the garage door behind him as he as he cycled off so he didn't spend too much time outside the front of the house where the neighbours could see him. I had remembered that fateful day when he embarrassed me so this was payback time, I shouted from the front of the house "BYE DAD HAVE A GOOD TIME AND NO YOU DON'T LOOK SILLY", I think that was justice. :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
errrmmmmmm not really sure about the shorts depends how they are worn lol

We have an older member (actually 2) whom wear these hotpants type shorts, except they are now borderlining briefs, they are very tight and very short (steve will vouch), when he was running sunday, the ladies giggled quite a lot for some reason :rolleyes: ........... well put it this way you could tell what side he dressed :blush:

The other man in our club made all the ladies giggle on a half marathon because whilst behind him his shorts were blowing up in breeze and they could see his cheeks. (i think the shorts lost there lycra)

So i would say it depends how they are worn :p

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
pedestrian said:
So why wear shorts in a race if keeping the legs warm in leggings etc is more important and/or better for making the muscles work best? :huh: I'd say running well is largely down to comfort - if you feel uncomfortable then you're unlikely to run naturally.

I have nice hairy legs that are happy in shorts almost all year round, only in the coldest of cold conditions do the leggings come out ;) I still use shorts that adequately cover everything though - I'd be suprised if I changed to the 'elite' short shorts anytime soon

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
them ones are not bad, i mean the tight tight ones you know almost lycra :p

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
twinkle toes said:
My Dad once made the mistake of embarrassing me whilst in the high street, we needed to cross the road and just as we were about to go he grabbed my hand and shouted "NOW HOLD DADDYS HAND WHILE WE CROSS THE ROAD", I was 14 at the time a very tender age and easily embarrassed. However, we reap what we sow.

One morning my Dad had decided he was going to go for a bike ride and he had all the get up on lycra leggings all the tight fitting stuff, stack hat etc (he had only just got into this and so was very self conscious), he asked me to shut the garage door behind him as he as he cycled off so he didn't spend too much time outside the front of the house where the neighbours could see him. I had remembered that fateful day when he embarrassed me so this was payback time, I shouted from the front of the house "BYE DAD HAVE A GOOD TIME AND NO YOU DON'T LOOK SILLY", I think that was justice. :d

LOL Twinks!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
errrmmmmmm not really sure about the shorts depends how they are worn lol

We have an older member (actually 2) whom wear these hotpants type shorts, except they are now borderlining briefs, they are very tight and very short (steve will vouch), when he was running sunday, the ladies giggled quite a lot for some reason :rolleyes: ........... well put it this way you could tell what side he dressed :blush:

The other man in our club made all the ladies giggle on a half marathon because whilst behind him his shorts were blowing up in breeze and they could see his cheeks. (i think the shorts lost there lycra)

So i would say it depends how they are worn :p
Vouching for sure!!

Not that I ever notice shorts men wear.............

....now ladies in shorts is another matter;) :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
But you did that day !!! and dont deny it, you could not help it lol

I cant bring myself to wearing shorts at the moment, if i had paula radcliffe legs maybe :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
But you did that day !!! and dont deny it, you could not help it lol

I cant bring myself to wearing shorts at the moment, if i had paula radcliffe legs maybe :p
I deny it completely......haha

Well summer's coming...club policy is for ladies to wear shorts in the summer....have you not read the small print in the club's rules?:d ;)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I only typed them for the website not read them ;)

Can the shorts be calf length ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts