Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've just read the diary with incredulity! I've been running since August and looking at my logs I've run a total of 67 miles in that time.... just a days running to Sharon.

I'm just gobsmacked at her ability to push herself and her body.

Dave

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
hi all.. picked up a hit on the site from here.
thanks for visiting.

sharon sent me 3 versions of various lengths, and thats the middle sized one!

its a great feat & well deserved, her updates during the event were nailbiting towards the end!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Billy Butlin put on a race from John O Groats to Lands End in 1960
Dozens entered without a clue as to how hard the task was - Started either very end of Feb
or 1st of March and the runners encountered lots of snow in Scotland. They had to organise their own accommodation and feeders. I helped a fellow club runner, John Grundy, on a couple of stages then did the last 100 miles from okehampton to the finish but he was in far better condition than me and he was knackered! John finished 2nd eventually.
There was a book published about it - I believe it was called 'The Big Walk'
Won by a bloke called Musgreave from Doncaster. Both of them finished on March 13th

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
That is truly incredible!! I struggle sometimes to run 40 mile weeks, let alone 80 in a day. I just don't know how the body copes with it.

Do you think this is more impressive than the guy that ran 50 marathons in 50 days? Tough one!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
After a failed attempt due to injury earlier in the year Mimi Anderson took the record (by a remarkably narrow margin) in July:
marvellousmimi.com - Home

On the 28th July 2008 I broke the Female World Record for the fastest woman to run from John O'Groats to Land's End finishing in 12 days 15 hours and 46 minutes.
(Sharon's record was 12 days, 16 hours and 23 minutes)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi new to this forum (forums in general) tonight, this entry caught my attention, as I'm running the Le-Jog towards the end of May 09.

12 days is insanely intense, I think it's arguably tougher than the 50 in 50, if you have a very high base mileage, and run each marathon without pushing yourself, you can, as Karnazes showed repeat the run day after day. (Karnazes found the lack of sleep caused by crazy traveling schedule to get between the states tougher than the running).

But running more than 3 marathons a day, is beyond the limits of anyones body, by that I mean, Karnazes could absorb a marathon each day without too much strain, as he is so used to running 50 - 100 miles that to him a marathon is comparable to a half for an avergae marathon runner.

However no one has the ability to 'absorb' 3 marathons a day, each day will have just resulted in an ever growing fatigue, and ensuing pain. Both records above, are incredible feats of athleticism, indeed very inspiring. Earlier this year I read, Pam Reed's the extra mile, I love the way Ultra running is an area where women not only match men, but as in the examples above; throw the myth of "the fairer sex" well and truly out of the nearest window!

Does anyone here know of any record of someone running the Le-Jog off-road? If so, any idea of the time/days taken?

all the best.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Billy Butlin put on a race from John O Groats to Lands End in 1960
Dozens entered without a clue as to how hard the task was - Started either very end of Feb
or 1st of March and the runners encountered lots of snow in Scotland. They had to organise their own accommodation and feeders. I helped a fellow club runner, John Grundy, on a couple of stages then did the last 100 miles from okehampton to the finish but he was in far better condition than me and he was knackered! John finished 2nd eventually.
There was a book published about it - I believe it was called 'The Big Walk'
Won by a bloke called Musgreave from Doncaster. Both of them finished on March 13th
i missed that post.. very interesting.

i hear rumour of an organised lejog race in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts