Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone was running the Sheffield half marathon in may next year, also if anyone has run it before, and is it a tough run? We have been told some areas are quite hilly? Many thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have run the Sheffield half a couple of times and it is one of my favourite races. It is well attended, about 4000 runners last year, and you get to start and finish in the Don Valley stadium.I class it as a mainly flat course from the stadium into the city centre takes about 4 miles then undulates through the town centre, goes past Bramhall Lane then onto Eccleshall road which is the only real testing hill on the course, upto Hunters Bar then loop round and back down into the town centre and a flat finish back to the stadium. Plus the crowds on Eccleshall Road are normally fantastic.But its well worth doing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aww thank you so much Andliz, Meg will feel better knwoing that someone 'enjoys' it there lol, we were talking to a mum at school who has been running for years, she said her favorite one is the Blackpool half she loves that one, we asked if she had done the Sheffield one, and she said no i'd never do that one cos its supposed to be a really hard hilly course, so that made Meg even more nervous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sheffield Half Marathon

Hey Talmadee, Sheffield is a great run. Last year was the first year I did it and recorded my best ever time there. Like Andliz mentioned, you start and finish in the Don Valley Stadium which is fantastic. The hills arn't that bad, they're quite short hills so you've plenty of time to recover. Running through the city is quite good too with all the support there.

Nutter

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that nutter, we went for a ride out there on sunday, but there were so many roads closed due to works, but we got the idea of it. Are you doing agian this year? Just looked at your profile your tiem looks pretty good.
From Wakey too, (Im originally a Wakey lass)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It seems road works and Sheffield go hand in hand. The race does cut over quite a few roads and from what I remember does zig zag a bit but I still think its a good course. Hope you take part.

Yes, I'll be running again this year. My Wife and 3 year old son are walking the fun run. We're breaking the young one in early!

I'm originally from Leeds but have lived in Wakey for the last 7 years.

Nutter

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear your doing it agian he has had so much bad press about this run so its nice to hear someone positive about it! We have a 05year old son, but he has problems with his talus bone in his foot, and so has problems walking far, otherwise i would have done the fun run, i bet its great to take part in it, good luck to yourself and also your wife and son too.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Dawn,
I'm sure Meg is going to have a great time as he's put lots of preparation into his training and feeling nervous before a race is perfectly normal.

Wish him luck from me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts