Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you are there?

I work 7.30 - 2.30pm.......12.00pm - 8.30pm and 8.00pm - 8.00am on a rota although it's not a rolling one.

When do you find it best to do your run? before or after work or does it depend on your shifts? I'm on nights tonight and tomorrow and then days at the weekend. Not sure when would be best to plan my runs??

Just asking out of curiosity

Cheers
Nat

·
Registered
22 Posts
I work shifts, 2 earlies, 2 noons and 2 nights... I don't like running after earlies, tend to do it when on noons in the mornin and in the day when on nights...

I love working shifts though, you get so much more time to yourself!

Katy x

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Funny that... I always remember feeling like I had loads of time to myself when I worked shifts, despite still working the same total number of hours as I do now?!

Best times for running... performance wise, the later the better, as you're muscles will be looser the longer you've been awake. For weight loss the morning is better, as it elevates your HR & metabolism for the following few hours, wheareas in the evening that's counteracted by your body winding down ready for bed!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advice Richard. I hate shifts lol. Been doing them for 12 years and dream now of a monday to friday 9-5 job.

The thought of people heading out shopping or for family days when I'm just off to work at 12pm Saturday or Sunday makes me :mad:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I work nights 8-7:30am. I take my son to school at 9am and then go out for a run. I find when I get home from work all I want to do is get in the shower so to hold off and get all sweaty first is a gratifying thing lol! I find I have more time to myself for the simple reason I am sleep deprived, it catches up with me every so often but I enjoy being able to do what I like during the day. The thought of being stuck inside on a sunny day just does my head in.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I came off shifts (not by choice) in April. Worked 5am to 1:30 and 1:00 until 10:00 ish. alternate weeks. Hate 9 to 5, get stuck in the traffic and no time to do anything! running has gone downhill:(

·
Registered
143 Posts
I work 7.00am - 3.30pm Mon - thursday, 7.00am - 12.00 noon on a Friday. I couldnt imagine what doing shifts is like. must be tough.

My missus used to do them and had to be taken of them. Apparently they are especially bad for women. Something to do with the bodys temperature at specific times of the day and there monthly cycle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently working shifts, especially night shift workers lessen their life span by apporx 10 years or so I read. :confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Smiler
I work 2 x 12 hr days followed by 2 x 12 hr nights and I never go out the day after coming off nights I just cannot motivate myself to do it. On the plus side during my four days off between each rotation I can get out three days on the bounce (today will be the first) then two rest days ( sorry that should read 2 days at work ) then go for a short run during the day off I have between days and nights. I guess on the whole I like the shift pattern as I get plenty of free time but shift work is a bit of a pain as it does as you say intrude on the week ends. I suppose the best thing to do is if it feels good, do it !

smithy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Smiler said:
Apparently working shifts, especially night shift workers lessen their life span by apporx 10 years or so I read. :confused:

Oh dear! Thats me dying young then, I've been doing nights for the last 10 years on and off (more nights than days). I really don't like working days but they always say its the good that die young ;) :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts