Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just returned from my run and had to cut it short as i kept getting an ache down the left side of my left shin. When i checked it and rubbed my shin I had a slight tender spot on the right side at the bottom just below where the calf muscles come round.
I'm hoping its just tight calf and some simple stretches might help but thought i'd get some helpful advice from here. I've got my first half marathon in a couple of weeks so need to sort the problem...

Thanks Nick

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I would suggest stretching and ice to help your shins.

Recently, I have found the pain in my shins seems to die down if I slow down for a couple of miles on my long runs. After a few weeks of running a bit slower, the sore shins had gone.

Might be worth trying this in the next couple of weeks before your race.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I found that lots and lots of stretching of my calves, plus exercises to strengthen the fronts of my shins helped stop this kind of pain. To start with, I was stretching my calves several times every day - while sitting at my desk, while waiting for the kettle to boil, ...

Now that my shins have stopped hurting, I just do the stretches before and after every run and once or twice on every rest day.

I also switched to running on softer surfaces for a bit, though I seem to be able to run on tarmac again now with no ill-effects.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I know it seems to be said on nearly every thread nowadays... but have your shoes been properly fitted? (i.e. did you have your Gait analysed?)

My first pair of trainers from JJB gave me shin splints, and a new pair from a proper running shop after a gait analysis cleared the problem right up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes richard I booked in for gait analysis after reading the advice on this site. I use a motion control shoe.
I've started the calf stretchs but got a bug so off for a few days now anyway.
Could anyone give me some tips on shin strengthening excercises.

Thanks for your advice.

Nick

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Stretches, ice etc all good. I also found but shortening by stride really helped my shins, maybe worth a try and also running just on the roads is no help either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts