Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after setting a personal best on firday i took a few days rest due to an injury in my knee, when i started running again on wednesday i had to stop because of a strained feeling in my shins. similar to the feeling you get in your thighs after standing in a squat position for a while, when i ran again today the same thing occured. this has never happened before, and i have the correct shoes, does anyone know why this might happen, and how to prevent it?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
As a sports therapist, it's impossible to say what the problem is really, without examining the area through treatment.

Have you had any physio or sports massage with your knee injury?

Could the shin problem be linked in some way to your knee injury...maybe carrying the injury meant your running style was slightly compromised, which led to the shin problem.

Have you considered going to see a sports masseur?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I would follow the treatment advise for shin splints. Most shin problems are down to similar factors e.g. biomechanics, footwear, tight calves etc etc.

Have a look at the shin splints page on sportsinjuryclinic.net, found the info on there really helped when i had shin splints!

It is probably right that your injury to your knee affected your running style and put more pressure on your lower legs.

Heidi

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's exactly the pain I feel when I squat in stress position and the only solution for my never-going-away shin-splint is resting two to three days between running sessions.

Since I started strengthening my calves i found easier to run through the pain for the first three minutes. Afterwards it goes away till the next run

1 - 6 of 6 Posts