Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been recovering form shin splints for the past few weeks and I am working at ways to prevent getting them again or at lest minimizing the risk..
I have purchased trainers that work better for me, and I was also looking at Shin Splint Compression Sleeves, and I wondered

Do they work?
Is there a alternative?

Any advise would be gratefully received

Glyn

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I've never heard of 'shin splint compression sleeves' but I would imagine they're a fancy version of tubi-grip (tubular elasticated bandage)... get some tubigrip from boots/superdrug, or even just a supermarket and use that :)

light compression is supposed to help reduce inflammation and promote bloodflow, aiding recovery - it's certainly not a miracle cure, but any help is better than none eh?

the best thing is prevention, sounds like you've sorted out the right type of trainers for your running style, so just build up your training gradually, giving your body the time it needs to adjust and adapt and you'll hopefully be okay.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I've got a couple - my podiatrist recommended I wore one when my shins were really bad. You can try one and see if it helps if it makes the pain worse you might have compartment syndrome

·
Registered
363 Posts
I believe wrapping is good for shin splints too. As Steady says though be real careful if it is a compartment syndrome. If it starts to feel worse then get rid immediately and get it checked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have been recovering form shin splints for the past few weeks and I am working at ways to prevent getting them again or at lest minimizing the risk..
I have purchased trainers that work better for me, and I was also looking at Shin Splint Compression Sleeves, and I wondered

Do they work?
Is there a alternative?

Any advise would be gratefully received

Glyn
I'm using them. I am a very active person and I play basketball, running, cycling or lifting weights every day. It can help by keeping your muscle from jiggling / bouncing so much. To prevent tibia splints, I have always used a calf compression sleeve to protect my calves during exercise. As long as you compress it in the correct position, don't be too tight. After exercise, the calf will return to normal after only two days. If you've experienced similar injuries in the past, I'm pretty sure socks help limit injuries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts