Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has got any good advice for avoiding shin splint?

I was training for the Copenhagen Marathon last year, but had to stop when reaching 24km training point as I was suffering from shin splint from running in snow and therefore never made the marathon. :(

This year I would really like to run Berlin Marathon so I appreciate any advice re how to start and proceed training to avoid shin splint again.

Thank You!

Mia :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
In order to help prevent shinsplints, make sure you stretch the legs thoroughly, the front area of the leg in particular.

Also, make sure to wear stability shoes or motion control shoes and consider orthotics. Also replace worn-out shoes, warm up well and run on soft surfaces (e.g. grass), and avoid overstriding, which puts more stress on shins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
dahill said:
In order to help prevent shinsplints, make sure you stretch the legs thoroughly, the front area of the leg in particular.

Also, make sure to wear stability shoes or motion control shoes and consider orthotics. Also replace worn-out shoes, warm up well and run on soft surfaces (e.g. grass), and avoid overstriding, which puts more stress on shins.

Easy tiger!

Don't go buying stability / motion control shoes unless you need them! Get your running gait checked out at a proper running shop or at a club. Maybe that's the correct course of action for you but it could make things a LOT worse.

Best advise is just below that, also do not try to increase your distance and or pace to rapidly. That's where I usually fall down!!!

A good thing to do before you run is to walk on your heals (like you did when you were a kid) This stretches the front of the shin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
I'm a fellow shin splints sufferer. Same reasons as TC, try running too fast, too often or increase my mileage too much. Had to cut short an 8 mile run last night to a 3 mile run cos the shins were compaining!!

I have an article (pdf format) on what to do to help prevent shin splints, not sure if I can post it on here though if I can I will.

Will try your stretch though gumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Usual set of 4 things :
- get proper shoes fitted (do NOT buy stability or motion control unless you actually need them)
- stretch properly
- increase your mileage gradually and as far as possible do some of your running on grass / trails
- include recovery days and don't go out if your shins are telling you thay want to stay in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
i do as much running as i can on the beach when i am at home - extra cushioning, great for shin splints (not so good for achilles though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
As well as walking on your heels, stand against a wall, on your heels, and lower your toes down and then raise them up again - repeat lots of times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Shin splint hell!!!

The Count said:
Easy tiger!

Don't go buying stability / motion control shoes unless you need them! Get your running gait checked out at a proper running shop or at a club. Maybe that's the correct course of action for you but it could make things a LOT worse.
Quiet right too. I suffer with shin splints. I took advice from many people, but the best advice I ever took was to get my gait checked!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Mrs Wood said:
Just wondering if anyone has got any good advice for avoiding shin splint?

I was training for the Copenhagen Marathon last year, but had to stop when reaching 24km training point as I was suffering from shin splint from running in snow and therefore never made the marathon. :(

This year I would really like to run Berlin Marathon so I appreciate any advice re how to start and proceed training to avoid shin splint again.

Thank You!

Mia :)
Shock absorbing insoles can be helpful, suggest you fit them under your existing insoles to retain any benefits they have, also helps as you get older n more fragile (not that I'm suggesting.... stop now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Have you tried accupuncture? Helps relieve the swelling. Also as mentioned before go and get a gait analysis done, I found I was hyperpronating and wearing the wrong type of trainers.

Also ice, rest and plenty of streching should help you recover

Hope this helps!

Kat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Yes I do (hate shin splints) I went out for a short recovery run this evening (only 2 miles) - not enough time for shins to settle down so they made their presence felt during most of the run. Wished I'd wore my shin supports but I got away without these on Sunday.

Shin problems are usually related to overpronation or insufficient shock absorption. Careful Steve don't pay attention to it and can lead to stress fractures I've been rubbing in some gel into mine. I try to avoid running consecutive days as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Well I did 7.75m last night and didn't suffer at all so I'm wondering now if the problem wasn't shin splints ( touching lots of wood!) but simply some kind of strain cause by running slowly.

Planning a treadmill run tonight so will see what happens and report back!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top