Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A strange question for you.

I recently bought a new pair of running shoe's with full intention of running again after quitting before with shin splints, but that was a few weeks ago and I hadn't worn them until today because my shins a still feeling a bit twitchy (probably due to the amount of walking I do to and from work and my poor working shoes).

I finally thought to hell with it, I paid a lot of money for those shoes and intend to use them, so rather stupidly I went to the gym and jumped on the running machine.

I first did a fast pace walk for 5 minutes to warm up.
jumped off
did loads of stretching
jumped back on
jogged for 2 miles
walked for a few minutes to warm down and then stretched off.

the thing is I expected my shins to be throbbing now and me to be regretting it but they feel great, better than they have in ages.

so the question is have I been a silly boy and am I going get up in the morning and not be able to walk or is it possible I could have actually done my legs some good by training??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ;
I too suffer from shin splints. I have been running for only four months and suffered from the start although this was cured when i went to a sports therapist for some treatment and also got some running shoes after getting my gait analysed.However i have recently upped my training to approx 30 miles per week in preparation for a forthcoming half marathon and the shin splint problem has reappeared in BOTH legs.I would suggest going to a sports therapist on regular occasions until the lower legs give you no further pain.Good luck Coxy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Coxy,

I've had my gait analysed, so I now my shoes are right, but the sports therapist sounds a bit expensive.

I wish I could get rid of my shin splints for good, I enjoy running.

I am getting some insoles for my work shoes as I don't think all the walking I do is helping..

Daz.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A sports therapist would cost around £30 per session but you might be ok if you don't continue to get any pains running. I suppose the real test is when you hit the roads and start to up your mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts