Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started running and low and behold I suffered from the above.

I went to Runners Needs and they recommended a trainer to me. But due to lack of funds I had to keep using my old trainers until I could get a new pair. My old trainers were a size too small as well.

For the last two weeks I haven't had any pain, apart from my tips of my big toes.

Then on Friday I bought the new recommended pair and my shins are in agony :mad:

WHY? :(

·
Registered
835 Posts
styliko said:
I started running and low and behold I suffered from the above.

I went to Runners Needs and they recommended a trainer to me. But due to lack of funds I had to keep using my old trainers until I could get a new pair. My old trainers were a size too small as well.

For the last two weeks I haven't had any pain, apart from my tips of my big toes.

Then on Friday I bought the new recommended pair and my shins are in agony :mad:

WHY? :(
I hate to ask this, as it seems to be critical to all the injuries after buying new shoes, but did you get your gait analysed?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Is it a muscular pain or does the pain seem like it's along the bone?

If you've had gait analysis it'd seem very odd that they've given you the wrong shoes, so perhaps it's the body adapting to the new trainers? What did they say about your running style?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to be along the bone, the inner side of my left leg.

They told me I overpronate.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's a tough one to answer really without having any real medical/physio knowledge...

As i'd imagine you know, shin splints is an overuse injury and not something that just happens over the course of a single run (well certainly not typically!). Perhaps a weakened ligament/tendon (I forget which is which) that has been pushed over the edge when you changed to your new shoes that have altered your running style?

Stick with your new shoes for a while though, try not to go too hard at the moment and give your body some chance to catch up and recover. If the trainers are still causing you grief a little further down the line then perhaps kick up a fuss! ;)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Ease right back on your runs try running on a softer surface eg grass, icing the area after you exercise will also help

What sort of distances ae you doing ? and on what surface you need to reduce the amount of impact you're putting your self under so that you can manage the shin splints.

It may also be worthwhile speaking to the staff at the shop you bought the trainers see if they can help.

Hope you get it sorted

take it easy ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts