Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That all encompassing diagnosis again !

I'm the heaviest I've ever been ( fat not muscle I'm afraid !) and got back into running 4 months ago. I recently developed very bad pains on my inner shin. I'm a neutral runner. I was worried that this may have been a stress fracture caused by the sudden high mileage (30+ miles per week) on legs that weren't accustomed to the weight.

However, the pain seems to have faded and shifted so that I now get only the occasional twinge in the ankle joint.

Am I right in assuming that this shifting of the pain can safely rule out a stress fracture and does anyone have any suggestions for good stretching strategies for the inner calf and shin.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the old favourite of sitting on your heels with your feet pointing behind you.

BE CAREFUL

Probably best to support your weight with both hands and lower yourself down

If you can manage it - do the above and lean right forward will also stretch your back out

Will look for a pic somewhere

·
Registered
147 Posts
TIGER BALM!!!!

Its the best thing you can get, really penatrates the root of em, but rest as well.

Topless swedish massage wont go a miss too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stacka said:
TIGER BALM!!!!

Its the best thing you can get, really penatrates the root of em, but rest as well.

Topless swedish massage wont go a miss too.

I'll take two of them there massage things please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have also ben getting this and it has spread to my knees. I had a sports massage last night and it was great, if painful! The girl was very clued up and gave me lots of tips (and kept her top on, sorry!).
1. A good pair of shoes is the first port of call, as you know.
2. Always use ice on shin splints, not heat. Use it every time you excercise.
3. Do lots of stretching twice a day - a good one is to roll up a towel and place it in front of a wall. Put your foot on the towel and tip it outwards (so if it's your right foot, imagine it being on it's right edge, with the inner part of the foot raised), then bend over with hands supporting on wall, keeping your back straight and your knees straight.
Also, use the stairs to strech your calves, by blancing toes on edge and lettting heel lower off the edge - come back by using your supporting leg, not the one you are stretching.

The therpaist suggested that the key to helping ease shin splints is to stretch the rest of your legs as well as your shins and calves - flexibitly helps to ease the strain.
Also - if it hurts, don't run! Give your legs a rest for a few weeks and stick to running on softer areas - treadmils are better than pavements.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good Tips Katie.

Welcome to the forum.

How is your running going ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave said:
Good Tips Katie.

Welcome to the forum.

How is your running going ?

Thanks - sore! I have this 10km for the charity I work for on the 6th July and I am struggling with these wretched shin splints but hopefully will be OK on the day! I'm going against all physio's advice and running as much as I can now, sod the pain and worry about it after. I'm not a natural runner!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
KateP said:
I'm going against all physio's advice and running as much as I can now, sod the pain and worry about it after. I'm not a natural runner!
... Dunno, Kate... with an attitude like that, sounds like you're more of a natural runner than most! Well done. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts