Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there !!!!!

Im a novice runner,who runs around 20 mile a week , I was running outdoors , (mud and little pavement) with an nike airmax 360 and was getting slight shin splints, Im planning to get a nike air trail pegasus + 3 , please gimme some tips how to go about it ......:((

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi, the first thing I guess is did you go to a decent running/sports shop for advice and to have your gait looked at ? they should be able to tell you if you under/over pronate or you have any other issues, having the right shoes will make a difference. The next thing is have you tried to shorten your stride length, when I started running I used to get shin splints, as it turned out for this very reason. The down side to reducing stride length though is your cadence will have to go up to compensate :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Dicksmith, You are of course right, do not stride out in front. Increase cadence. But why unfortunately??? Our bodies operate more optimally at higher cadence. If you run well you spend more time in the air than on the ground so although you are not striding out your stride length (from foot fall to next foot fall on the same leg) will actually be longer than an average runner. High cadence means that we uitilise gravity to move forward more often and also allow your lower leg muscles\tendons to utilise their natural elastic properties (research done in the 1960s and also against elite athletes gives a figure of 180 minimum cadence for this to happen).

In summary stride out in front and you are at higher risk of getting knee problems and also shin splints (although shin splints are more to do with slamming your foot hard into the ground - do not do it :'(). So you need to shorten and quicken your stride, you will be more economical, faster and be more injury resistant.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
There's a good article in Runner's World this month about shin splints. It has few stretching and strengthening excercises, which might help shin splints. I'd suggest picking up a copy of the magazine, just for this article.

I've tried a few of them over the past week and my shins weren't as sore this morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts