Runners Forum banner

Shinsplints - idiot !!

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Cheryl 
#1 ·
:mad:

My own fault I'm sure, last few weeks have been going really well, and with out realising it I have crept from one 6-7 miler a week to two 6-7 mile runs in the space of a few weeks. I'm sure this is an over training injury but would be interested to hear what peoples views are.

Basically if I walk then all is well, does not hurt to touch at all but when I try and run, after about 5 secs the inside of my shin really really hurts and feels like I have a brick in it, if I continue it hurts like hell for say 15 mins and then the pain might go, or at least get better.

I'm guessing that rest is the solution but I really don't want a period of complete rest as I was making real progress, is it OK to run through this sort of injury ?

Depressed G.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear Granty, I have not suffered with shin splints, but just wanted to say hope it goes away soon.

I think rest maybe the answer though :mad:

TT

#4 ·
Hi Granty, try to stick to softer surfaces if you can as roads & pavements are the killer. I also find that quicker runs make it worse as you are hitting the ground more forcefully. Shin Splints are such a pain (no pun intended!) as they strike when you're at your most motivated.

#7 ·
Granty,
You can run through mild shin splints - I seem to recall you said you were suffering from tight calves and there is often a connection.

Shin splints covers a variety of conditions such as medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), stress fractures and compartment syndrome. The latter two are characterised by a crescendo pain i.e. the pain comes on after running for a while and gradually gets worse. MTSS there is usually some discomfort to start with but once the musles have warmed up the pain eases even disappears but may come back later after you've stopped running.

You need to try and keep your stride short, make sure your feet land under your centre of balance, ice your shins after every run for about 15 mins (this will help to reduce the swelling) and there are some strengthening exercises you can do to protect your shins (have a look at http://www.brooksrunning.co.uk/uk_shin-splints.html).

I suffered quite badly with very sore and swollen shins a few weeks ago. My podiatrist thought it was tibial peristisis, which is an inflamation of the tissues around the shin bones and is almost always linked to overpronation (there is also a higher risk of stress fractures). The pod thought this because the pain and swelling was along the front of the shin about a third up an and not on the inside down towards the ankle as it is with classical MTSS. He wanted me to take complete rest for about a month but I was in the middle of training for the Plymouth Half so as a compromise I had to reduce my training intensity by 25% and wear shin supports. I had to slow down my running pace so I trained with a slower runner at club and I substitued one of my sessions for a treadmill. My orthotics were also adjusted.

My shins have improved but I still can't train on consequtive days without the discomfort starting to return, which is a little frustrating as I want to follow an improvers half marathon plan which is 4 days a week. I'm still trying different shoe/orthotic combinations to find the most comfortable solution.

Granty if your shins don't start to improve I would consider seeing a physio or podiatrist just to get your biomechanics sorted out - make you don't have an unusual gait. How old are your shoes? How much mileage have they done?

Best of luck and try not to overdo it.

#8 ·
I'm prone to shin splints as well and, like you Granty, I get them when I start upping the mileage and/or frequency of my runs.

I've found that doing calf exercises in the gym and more stretching help a lot. Also, like Edwina I found that running slower helped the problem.

I picked up a good stretch from a triathlon magazine. It's very similar to the calf stretch, where you pull your toes - instead of pulling your toes up, tilt your foot to the outside, so the outside edge of your foot is on the ground. You should feel a slight strectch on the outisde of your shin.

I found that doing this stretch, along with the normal calf and thight stretches, have helped alot, especially immediedately before and after a run.

#9 ·
That is a good calf stretch Grant. You can also stretch the shin a little by intensifying the quad stretch BUT you need to grasp your foot by the ankle and work it to the bum. I can pop round Granty and watch if you like just to make sure you are doing it properly....not to giggle with the missus.

#10 ·
Thanks all, cracking advice as always (like having a 24/7 online Doctor service). Just back from a very slow 2 miles around the park (on grass) and currently writing this wired up to the ice (and Cider) :d

I'll try that stretch Grant as long as the leg has not siezed in the morning and SE ...... you'll welcome around anytime :p But I have a job working out how you are supposed to do most of the exercises let alone actually performing them. I normally get my lads of 6 and 9 to demostrate after I have told 'em what to do, now that it a sight worth seeing. :eek:

#12 ·
Glad (and slightly shocked) to report that the shins feel OK. Feel like I have run more than I did but not anywhere near as painful as they were after the last run, plenty of ice and stretched longer than I normally would post run seems to have helped as well.

I'll nip out for another 2-4 later on the week and if all goes well then try and get back to 6 or 7 next week.

#17 ·
Granty,

Can't offer all the technical advice like S.E. (what a woman!) But have recently had bad shin splint pain when I stepped up my mileage. Walking down the stairs was awful.

Read a load of stuff on the internet, and bought a book on pain free running (can't remember the title as I'm at work now). I have been stretching my shins properly before and after runs, plus doing some excercises under my desk at work. I can honestly say that combining the increased stretching with running lower mileages (for three weeks) and on softer ground, my shins barely hurt. I was getting really down about the possibility of not running, but feel much, much, much better now!

Self help........works a treat! (no Steve, not that sort!)

#22 ·
Funnily enough, I was wondering the same, I googled 'exercising under the desk' and quite frankly was shocked at some of the suggestions ! :eek: :p

But BP, thanks for the advice, I have mapped out some softer routes for the time being, now ...... if only I did not work in an open plan office .......................... :embarrassed:

#23 ·
I am a figeter (is it spelt like that?) anyway, but some months ago I had a stalker/pervert working at the desk backing on to mine, so I put a 'modesty panel' at the back of my desk. So now I can do what I like (I am talking stretching and excercising here) without drawing too much attention to myself.

My shins have much improved, although feeling it a bit today where I pushed myself to my limit on Sunday when I wasn't really feeling up to it!

Good luck Granty, I was begining to think that I would have to have another gait analysis and spend out again on more running shoes!

#24 ·
Having just recovered from stress fractures in both tibias and now training for a marathon in September I can tell you from experience - REST! I did 11 miles on Sunday morning and was getting twinges in one of my shins towards the end but even then I carried on. You know what it's like - you have a mileage in mind that you want to complete and you do it regardless of any "twinges". I find it really hard to stop even when I know that it's the best thing to do.

You really don't want to have to take 12 weeks off from running like I did. Really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.