Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is being shorter than your running partner a good excuse for why you can't keep up with them?

I went running with a couple of mates last night, who are a whole foot taller than me, and they just seemed to be trotting along fine, but I was finding it quite tough to keep up with them, even though my legs seemed to be moving just as quick, if not quicker than theirs! PLUS they'd been out on the lash at the weekend... It'd make me feel better if being shorter is a slight disadvantage lol. In the end I figured that I was on my recovery run after a long 'un on Saturday, so I just dropped behind a bit. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If they are men, then that probably explains why they find it easier (the VO2 max of men is generally higher than women). I don't think height plays a big part. there was a really short kenyan runner a few years ago (cant remember his name), and he had no problem competing against much taller runners. I am tall (6ft 1 inch), but tend to take short strides in any case.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm sure it can't be height related, there are plenty of short runners who fly by me on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm short, and struggle to keep up with tall people when walking, due to stride length, but ironically enough, long-distance running is no problem :d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts