Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed one or two threads on the subject of trail shoes but I'm still not sure of their value to me.
I run mainly on made-up tracks around local country parks. the ground is usually firm but sometime uneven and sometimes muddy. I run in Aisc Cumulus shoes which I don't have a problem with.
My favourite route involves about 3/4 mile on road then about 4 miles off road around the park tracks and 3/4 mile road home.
I've been told on more than one occasion that road shoes are OK off road unless taking on serious off-road terrian. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I would say if you don't have any problems with your road shoes then you should be find - trail shoes would provide more grip in wetter conditions.

However I have several pairs of running shoes including both road and off road - sometimes it can be useful to alternate pairs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
'trail' shoes come in many forms (as do trails!!) - for off road running in grassy or rocky areas good grip is required - our favourites are Inov8's and Walsh (more for the fell runner really) - in the Inov8 range there are loads of choices too - some best for muddy, grassy, scree etc with really agressive soles, others better for trails with good grip and a bit more cushioning... but these shoes really come into their own on rough trails and are the fell/mountain runners faves. Salomon's get well rated as a fell shoes also. http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewcategory/mps/RGN/5/RCN/88/cat/Trail-Running-Shoes/v/1/sp/

but really - for many well maintained trails - think the Llanberis path up to Snowdon if you've been there - road shoes are perfectly fine - we use road shoes on many of the well maintained trails and really prefer to as you get better cushioning generally.

in short - you have to apply commonsense - if you're slipping around and falling over on the trails you run - you'll have to improve your grip - another consideration is protection at the front of the foot and the sides (from kicking stones or scraping between rocks etc).

beware of many of the general 'trail' shoe on the market - many of them are crap - check out the sole to see if they have suitable grip and dont even bother with gortex or waterproof - all that will happen is that the water WILL get in - but it wont be able to get out!!!

look for good protection around the toe/front of shoe and the sides - kicking stones hurts!!!

hope this has helped

·
Registered
159 Posts
Asics Trabuco's are a good compromise I find. Good grip and protection but not too clunky for running on the road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you for your advice. As previously mentioned, I don't have a problem with my Cumulus (Cumuli?) running on mainly made up paths and trails, so I think I'll stick with them for now.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I bought some Walsh trail shoes the other day for the xcountry..are they any good? I normally just wear normal running shoes for xcountry but have got fed up with slipping and sliding all over the place.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Steve
You will find a massive difference, I wear Inov 8 Mudroc's for xc. Much more comfortable than spikes but still with great grip. Walsh shoes have an aggressive sole like the Mudroc's.
Good luck for the coming season.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Thanks for that Dale.
Not a great lover of xcountry but run to assist with the team event....also 2 of them this year are part of the club champs so staying upright even more important!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts