Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the race for life on june 10th which is 5k:confused: and ive just had a email about a 10k on june 24th in Manchester i'm tempted to give it a go. I train about 3/4 times a week but only do 3 miles each time do you think its too soon. I know i dont have to run it all what do you think?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I would say go for it, but between now and then increase your running distance slightly.

If you run the same distance every time you go out your body will just get used to running that distance and you won't progress, also you'll probably end up finding it tedious and when the weather turns bad your motivation won't be there so much.

Maybe on your next run you could run a little further to about 3 and a half. Next week try running a 4 mile run on one of the days you go out.

The important thing is to increase your distance very gradually and if you need to, do the extra bit at a slightly slower pace.

You've got 17 days until the 10k, try and get up to one run of 5 miles before then.

Another way of increasing strength and fitness is hill training. If possible you could dedicate one of your sessions to hill training. Find a hill of a decent distance, and after warming up, run up the hill and then jog down to recover. Do as many reps of the hill as you can but depending on your fitness already, you could start with 4 or 5.

Good luck with the 5k this weekend :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice, i was only considering doing hill training last night coz there was a group on women running where i go, then all of a sudden they took off up the hillside i'd probably only manage it the once it'll probably kill me.I'm going to sign up for that 10k later and i'll keep you informed on my training.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts