Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds daft, but I'm very new to running........... Did 2 miles yesterday and barely ache today - is this wrong? I usually ache the day after the gym!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in decent shape as I go to the gym a lot. I didn't go flat out - was trying to pace myself. I did feel tired at the end - just don't seem to hurt today like I expected! It was on the flat round a lake.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Keep The Distances Reasonable To Short And Gradually Build Them Up To Hopefully Stay Injury Free There Are Plenty Of Running Schedules Available Free For All Abilities
Good Luck With Your Training Sounds Like Your Doing Things Right Already!

Take It Easy
Cheriton
Oops Caps Lock On !!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
ellerose said:
I know this sounds daft, but I'm very new to running........... Did 2 miles yesterday and barely ache today - is this wrong? I usually ache the day after the gym!

Pain or aching generally occurs as a result of over exertion, which of course is all relative to how accustomed to a particular exercise regime you are. At any given time, we all have a physical limit to our capabilities; and when we exert ourselves too much beyond those boundaries, we damage muscle fibres. :eek: No, this isn't as serious as it sounds... The damage takes the form of micro-trauma, where the tiny fibres which comprise the muscles, are torn. (This is on a microscopic level, remember). As the body begins repairing itself, scar tissue is formed on the muscle fibres. Scar tissue is inflexible, which means that when the damaged muscles are used, the scar tissue isn't able to work as smoothly as the undamaged parts of the muscle: in fact, sort of pulling against them... causing the pain of "tired" muscles.
Quite often, it takes over 24 hours for the scar tissue to form completely (compare it to when you graze your knee, or something... you don't get a scab forming until the next day...?); which means that the muscle pain is often worse two days after the damage is done... How are you feeling today, Ellerose?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
If you're relatively fit from the gym then it doesn't surprise me that a 2mile run hasn't left you aching... If you run at a steady pace and you're not overweight, then it's not like you're putting your body under a great deal of strain.

Funny thing I find about the gym though, is that I REALLY have to work hard to get my heart rate up, using high resistance levels on the x-trainers or bikes, yet to achieve the same when running is comparitively easy as pie!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone, I felt like it was such a daft question!! I feel okay today too, have been swimming. I enjoyed the run more than I do the gym, so I might have caught the bug now!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
ellerose said:
Thanks for the replies everyone, I felt like it was such a daft question!! I feel okay today too, have been swimming. I enjoyed the run more than I do the gym, so I might have caught the bug now!

That is great news, it is a fantastic bug to catch. I wasn't surprised either to find you wouldn't ache as you work out regularly, so keep it up.

You do have the right running shoes? don't want you getting injuries....

TT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running in my gym trainers at the minute, going to invest in some proper running shoes on payday!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts