Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys basically I was wondering weather its best to go by time(30 minute run) or by distance(5k)

30 minute run sounds good to me but I Cant find a route that fits 30 minutes exactly, once 30 minutes is over I would Have to stop in the middle of nowhere which is kind of weird...

So I was wondering that running a certain distance like 5k would suit better where I can improve times for distances rather than running a certain time?

Thanks...

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
You will never find a route that fits a time. Good or bad day/slower or faster run will change your finish point for a set time.

Find your routes by distance and then you can see the improvement in the timentaken to run that route as you get fitter.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
id say it would depend on what your wanting to achive from your running.. if you were looking to enter races i would find a route and try to beat a time.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
If your doing a time e.g. 30mins, just run your route for 15mins then turn round and run back but challange yourself to get back either faster or within the 15mins it took you to get out. I do this a lot and enjoy having to really push myself to get back within the allocated time, especially if I have really pushed myself for the first half of the run.

O.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your doing a time e.g. 30mins, just run your route for 15mins then turn round and run back but challange yourself to get back either faster or within the 15mins it took you to get out. I do this a lot and enjoy having to really push myself to get back within the allocated time, especially if I have really pushed myself for the first half of the run.

O.
Thanks everyone but owain kinda made me feel abit better about the situation, as soem training programs teach you to run for a certain time Ill try it thanks owain

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
It all depends if your going for a race or not mind you, if your racing a 10k race but your not covering that within your training times then you would need to run further. That make sense?
If your just doing it for fitness and you only have 30mins to run then over time your 15mins out will take you further in distance and you will need to work harder to get back within the 15mins.

I enjoy doing my time runs, as I call them, because it really does push you on your way home when your feeling tired :)

O.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It all depends if your going for a race or not mind you, if your racing a 10k race but your not covering that within your training times then you would need to run further. That make sense?
If your just doing it for fitness and you only have 30mins to run then over time your 15mins out will take you further in distance and you will need to work harder to get back within the 15mins.

I enjoy doing my time runs, as I call them, because it really does push you on your way home when your feeling tired :)

O.
Owain

Yeah I really like the idea of it, I could try 16 minutes there and really push it back, so instead of distances, I can set my self goals for timed running, But Every so often I suppose I should try a 5k run to see how I do and see my time too see how much time I should train for...

Oh yeah should I also variety for how long I run for like, on monday 15 minutes fast run, wednesday long 45 minutes, friday 30 minutes.... ect...????

Would that be okay to do for a training program?? or shall I stick the 30 minute runs untill I get faster at them, and the faster I am within the 30 minute runs, the further I have gone :)
Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah I vote distance too. It gives you more options to your training. Faster speed over set distance, longer distance keep the same speed or all out just set a massive distance and see if you can make it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts