Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you run on?? concrete or do you keep to grassland?

Ive been having pains lately in my legs, am i pushing my self to much?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
As you're only 14 I would suggest that you join a club so you don't risk an overtraining injury and can take advantage of running coaches who will be able to monitor your progress

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I tend to run on road/pavement... though having recently joined a running club they do their long runs on a sunday and usually make their way across fields.

Grass is ideal if you can get to it and there's enough of it to do half decent runs on, sadly that's not always possible though

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Definitely not concrete if you have an otion...
Concrete and stone are the worst options (ok, metal is THE worst and I feel than when running across some bridges here).
Even tarmac is a lot better than concrete.
But grass, dirt road, hard sand are the best.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Yeah, that's true; not many people realise that concrete is actually harder than Tarmac! :) Unfortunately, during the winter it can be harder to get "off road" when it's dark. But I try to get into parks and woodland whenever it's light enough. Most of my running is done on "softer" surfaces during the summer.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I tend to run on pavements, mainly because there isn't much grass near my home and, to be honest, I feel I can run better times on concrete. I know its not as good for your health as running on grass, and some people get really bad knees, but I've never had a problem. I have developed what I think is an efficient and less injury prone style for running. I tend to take short fast strides and don't lift my feet too far off the ground so there isn't a lot of jarring of the knees. I see some beginners run and they are bouncing all over the place. this really isn't efficient, will tire you out quickly and maximise the chances of long term injury.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts