Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the 305 thread, and the idea of a gadget really appeals (ok, I'm a geek, but hey from this forum it looks like I have company:d) However, (excuse ignorance if I'm being really stupid here) it looks like half the fun is logging runs into Google earth. At home I am outside the high resolution area for GE and can't get any decent pics of my house (or running routes). Don't mind if can't get pics, but can the garmin plot route on a road map/ map other than Google earth?
Having stats is good my my inner nerd needs more....

Also would have to budget for and not likely to purchase any time soon (although letter to Santa may help)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Don't know about plotting routes into other maps, but if you aren't bothered about the heart rate monitor function you can get a Garmin 205, which is a cheaper. It does everything the 305 does apart from HR. You might even be able to pic one up second hand quite cheaply. On Amazon, you can get a refurbished one for £83.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
NO!

Why save? Buy it now and don't eat for a couple of weeks to repay the money :)

The maps are a nice gimmick, but it is the comparisons which will satisfy you. You also need the HRM for the geek in you.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
im with hrun.. buy now and basque in the greatness that is the 305.. mine cost £125 and its one of the best £125's ive spent for running..

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
The 305 is a great piece of gear, and you don't have to wear a basque while using it either!!

It's worth checking out the prices online, ie Amazon, as you can save yourself some money. I got mine off of Amazon for about the same price as Beasty.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sorry should have said. Garmin TC maps the run on a very basic map and then you can view it on google. Sport tracks has a better standard map or google or hybrid.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you are going to use it regularly - then there is no question (assuming you have the spare cash) - buy one, use it and enjoy it!

If you are only just starting out or are unsure whether you will stick it out - then I'd wait until you've caught the bug - cos it'll be an expesive ornament as its not even something you could use as a standard watch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts