Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Club champs race on Sunday. In normal circs I would run despite my ongoing injury so as just to pick up champs points. However this is a relay race with all runners doing a 5k lap.

We have 5 teams entered 2 of which are in the main race...1 lady, 1 Vet and 3 others...and 3 are in the B race where anything goes.

I would normally be one of the Vets in one of the main race teams but am concerned about my injury and the fact that I've had to walk in from training sessions 3 times recently.(I had though run for longer than 5k each time). I've also done no training at all for a week.

I did the last 10k 4 weeks ago with my injury and was the 2nd of our club home...more luck than judgement as many quicker runners didn't race. I did though beat the next quickest Vets.

The question therefore is should I take a place as a Vet in one of the main 2 teams and hope all is well or should I let the other guys take those places and just run instead for one of the B teams? The problem is that if I run well for a B team and end up doing a quicker time than the other Vets that would be a tad frustrating for everyone as in such circs one of the main teams could have got a quicker time/better finishing place.

What to do?:confused:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would question if you should be running at all? , sounds like your injury needs rest like my shins, especially given that you have had to walk back 3 times from a training session. I think given your times etc. then you should run in the 'A' team if you compete.

Go along as a Cheerleader !! :eek:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granty said:
I would question if you should be running at all? , sounds like your injury needs rest like my shins, especially given that you have had to walk back 3 times from a training session. I think given your times etc. then you should run in the 'A' team if you compete.

Go along as a Cheerleader !! :eek:
Well I probably shouldn't race but it's a case of "Do as I say not as I do"! :d
Also to drop out completely would cause a problem as someone would have to do 2 legs.

Not got the legs or pom poms! ;)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have to agree with Granty Steve.

Don't race. (Let someone else do two legs and spare your own).

If you are going to race you may aswell just go the whole hog.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said...do as I say not as I do!!
I did run in the "A" team as their Vet and did beat the other 2 Vets times so no ned to have worried after all.....did struggle a bit though and finished 5k in 20'55", 15secs slower than last year.
Looking on the bright side.... this year I was injured and a year older so technically I could argue that I did better than last year...what d'ya think?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts