Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pull my finger out and brave going to join in with a local club tonight?

I've sent an email to two local clubs and had no reply from either (one was at weekend, the other a week ago today), this has given me a slightly negative vibe and has put me off the idea of just turning up unannounced. Besides, i'd have liked to know a few more details before commiting myself :embarrassed:

I know the one club meets tues & thurs (& Suns for long runs), and the other Mons & Weds, I think the former would suit me better as they're part of an XC league too which could be fun!

Hmmm, maybe I should just hang on a bit longer for a response or email another commitee member? :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Pull my finger out and brave going to join in with a local club tonight?

I've sent an email to two local clubs and had no reply from either (one was at weekend, the other a week ago today), this has given me a slightly negative vibe and has put me off the idea of just turning up unannounced. Besides, i'd have liked to know a few more details before commiting myself :embarrassed:

I know the one club meets tues & thurs (& Suns for long runs), and the other Mons & Weds, I think the former would suit me better as they're part of an XC league too which could be fun!

Hmmm, maybe I should just hang on a bit longer for a response or email another commitee member? :confused:

YES YES YES :d

Bit naughty getting no response though!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Go for it Richard!

most if not all clubs have a 'try before you buy' policy...as in you can run with them for a number of weeks before you make a decision to become a member or not.

I'm sure there is a very simple reason why you haven't had a reply to your email, so if I was you I'd just go along, get there in plenty of time though, so it's not too crowded and overwhelming. Just say who you are and you're thinking of joining a club. I'm sure they'll make you feel welcome...and if they don't, then try another club :)

Is there a phone number of a committee member on the website at all... if you want you could break the ice with a phone call

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did it! Wohoo!!

Tried calling the club (or rather the chairman) but couldn;t get hold of him, finally got hold of the Men's Team Captain who was very accommodating and told me to pop down and ask for him when I arrived. I found the place and he welcomed me and introduced me to another guy who took the intermediate runners out (based on my most recent HM time I was put in the middle group). I was told plenty about the club and introduced to some of the club members then off we went for a speed session! D'OH!!!

Anyway, I actually really enjoyed it, running with other people helped to pace me through the 7x800m reps and took my mind off the discomfort of running hard. They meet on Sunday mornings for long runs too which is good because I struggle with motivation and dedication to get myself out on very long runs on my own.

I'm sure it'll help me improve no end as a runner. I already feel quicker! heheh! Thanks you guys for your nudge of encouragement when I was so close to chickening out (though I suppose there was always next week, but i've said that for a long time!). Oh, and as it turns out, the chairman (who i'd tried to call and email) is away on hols atm, hence the lack of reply. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
A good move Richard, and glad you enjoyed it. If you want to progress then joining a club is the best thing you can do. It's so much easier doing work-outs or long runs in the company of others. Those 7 x 800m reps for instance would have felt awful difficult on your own. And you'll get practical advice on all matters regarding running. So keep it up. You'll soon be 6 minute miling!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Nice one Richard. I know it`s something I should really do myself.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't recommend it enough Dave, i've been 'umming and 'arring about it for nearly a year now, and whilst i've only been to one meet i'm already glad I went for it! If all goes well over the next few meets i'll sign on the dotted line come payday :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Steve said:
Glad it went well Richard.

As for you two, Dave and Granty.....get your ar*** in gear and find clubs to join!!!
I personally think it helps your running i have now since being with my club done two XC races and a Handicap race and all the time i feel my stamina and pace getting a little faster and i know its down to being with a club.

I mean the director is a bit of a weird one but i can run away from him ;) :embarrassed: *punch* buddy ol pal

Seriously the people in our club are great they are all so friendly helpful and really give you a confidence boost.

Best thing i done. :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
*does the friendly ruffle of the hair thing

Nah only joshing of course.

:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well done Richard... I told you there'd be a simple explanation to your unanswered emails didn't I. I'm really pleased for you though...my running went from strength to strength after joining a club.. take note Granty and Dave!

Does your club have social events too...ours are usually quite fun :)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Granty, Dave, shame us three can't get together join a club, im in same boat to ( a bit shy!!!!) some times anyway.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The thing with me is that lack of time during the week means I have to train when I get the chance.

At the weekend I Run with a really nice group early on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I`ve got two local clubs whose times just don`t fit with me at the moment,even though I would love to get involved.

Hopefully things will change as my son gets older,and a bit more of my time will be my own.

Saying all that.I wouldn`t change a thing about my life at the moment.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
Bet you would...indirectly that is...

15 more points and no injury list!!;)
And under 46 minutes for a 10k.......................:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hayley, you could always jog over to me on a Sunday morning (warm up) and then we'd go out for a run frrom there. :p

I am very close to joining a club, I'm reading their website on my other screen, all of a sudden feel like a teenager about to go for a first date :embarrassed:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts