Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking up energy supplements for the first time and came across this deal which i thought was rather good -

https://www.scienceinsport.com/pth-sign-up-dec18-soc?

Think it may only be available to new customers - anyhow you get 6 x apple and 6 x salted caramel gels for only the £3.99 delivery charge.

But if you spend £10 you get free delivery, and they have 30 x chocolate on offer reduced from £42 to only £10!
https://www.scienceinsport.com/sis-go-isotonic-gel-60ml-30-pack-chocolate-clearance

So i added that and got free delivery, so £10 spent for 42 gels delivered.

Not fussed if i don't like the flavours, for that price i can live with them.

Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
811 Posts
You will be fussed if you don't like the flavours, because when you're 20 miles into a marathon and are hanging if you don't like the flavour you are carrying you will just not eat it. Even flavours that you otherwise like sometimes get hard to force down late in a race.

Don't get carried away buying a box of 30 until you know what you like. It is better to try various flavours from all different brands because the texture/flavour varies significantly.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Nice one, Trev. Unfortunately their web page thinks it costs £39.95 to post to NO or NL, so I'll have to stick with High5 from Wiggle. Some gels like Gu go too stiff below freezing point, BTW. I don't recall what SIS go like.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For me, anything vanilla flavoured risks coming back up!

SIS have got really expensive, last time I ordered a box of 30 gels it cost me €40, the exact same thing is now €75, nearly doubled in price in the last 2 years. Shame really, as I quite like their cola with caffeine, not that I use them often luckily.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disappointing to hear of the postage costs beyond the uk mainland.

I'm sure if the chocolate flavour doesn't agree with me i'll be able to sell them on for what i paid for them. I hope the flavour and the sis brand will agree - i already use the sis chocolate recovery protein shake, and i like that and have no ill effects, so hopefully all will be good.

Whilst here, i'm 15 stone with a bit (lot) of belly - can anyone recommend a belt that will carry a small bottle as well as the gels?

I bought a 4 pack of lucozade sport light in Tesco today as they are on offer at £1.75, and am thinking a belt that comes with a bottle that i can decant this in to, or one that will hold a bottle of your choice would be a good idea, along with holding the gels.

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
I hope the flavour and the sis brand will agree - i already use the sis chocolate recovery protein shake, and i like that and have no ill effects, so hopefully all will be good.
You can't rely on that. The orange gels and orange energy thing taste similar, but the orange energy + electrolytes thing tastes pretty different. All 3 made by SiS.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not sure if it would be big enough, but flipbelt have introduced a small, curved drinking bottle to slip inside the belt. If you need slightly bigger with proper pockets then the Nathan VaporKrar is adequate.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if it would be big enough, but flipbelt have introduced a small, curved drinking bottle to slip inside the belt. If you need slightly bigger with proper pockets then the Nathan VaporKrar is adequate.
Thanks Steve, i'll take a look at those. But since posting this and reading more, i realised my route is a figure 8 and hm in distance for 1 lap. So best option is probably to stash a couple of bottles on the route prior to my run, and just carry the gels. They are quiet country roads, so pretty confident they won't go missing.

I'll still look at them, and perhaps try a couple on in Decathlon or somewhere to see how they feel.

Thanks again

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can't rely on that. The orange gels and orange energy thing taste similar, but the orange energy + electrolytes thing tastes pretty different. All 3 made by SiS.
Thank you, I'll see how they taste and sit with me, and like i say if they aren't for me i should be able to sell them for what i paid for them.

It's exciting that i've reached a distance where hydration and energy is required, although it now becomes more technical, i'm sure i'll get the right balance eventually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts