Runners Forum banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Now that the spammers are at least hidden I want to ask if there are any little changes that anyone thinks is a good idea.

I mean tiny 2 minute changes.. changing some text, adding a link somewhere, sticky/unstickying a thread, simple stuff where you think "you know what would make my RF life a bit easier..."

Any bigger changes will go into the first post of this thread as either a no, or a "maybe one day I hope"

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Now that the spammers are at least hidden I want to ask if there are any little changes that anyone thinks is a good idea.

I mean tiny 2 minute changes.. changing some text, adding a link somewhere, sticky/unstickying a thread, simple stuff where you think "you know what would make my RF life a bit easier..."

Any bigger changes will go into the first post of this thread as either a no, or a "maybe one day I hope"
Can I second Raymonda's suggestion for parkrun to be added to the Type of Session list in the training blog, maybe with a different colour too.

Also, you may already be aware of this one, but the little training blog mileage summary in people's posts is now showing 2012, but the mileage shown is not correct for everyone. For me it is showing close to my all time total mileage. Fulmar's is correct. Norveghajos' is out by about 6 miles, sturunner's by 12.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Personally I don't like the fact that you can't get easily from someones training blog to their RF profile.

They appear totally separate and not linked in anyway.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Can I second Raymonda's suggestion for parkrun to be added to the Type of Session list in the training blog, maybe with a different colour too.
Need some guidance here. From what I can gather a Parkrun is a 5km race? Or just a set distance run?

Should it be "Parkrun" or "Running - Parkrun"?

Personally I don't like the fact that you can't get easily from someones training blog to their RF profile.
Honestly thought I'd done that when I first made the blog. I'll link the avatar and username.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Need some guidance here. From what I can gather a Parkrun is a 5km race? Or just a set distance run?

Should it be "Parkrun" or "Running - Parkrun"?
Yea, with the occasional exception, it's an organised 5km run, every Sat morning. It's not technically a race though, and it's even classified separately in the UK rankings now. I would just add it as "Running - parkrun" (should be lower class p) to the drop down menu.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Done with a P as the other options are title case too. Can give it a different colour if really wanted, if one can be picked.

Also linked the blog to the user profile, and will look at the 2012/blog miles difference.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Done with a P as the other options are title case too. Can give it a different colour if really wanted, if one can be picked.
Thanks for that. A pale green would be nice, in keeping with parkrun's typical setting.

Also linked the blog to the user profile, and will look at the 2012/blog miles difference.
The link is pointing to my own profile rather than that of the person to whom the blog belongs.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thanks for that. A pale green would be nice, in keeping with parkrun's typical setting.

Just noticed, the mileage for a "Running - Parkrun" session is not getting counted for the weekly, monthly and yearly mileage totals. It appears ok in the Running section of the Mile-O-Meter panel in the blog though.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
... and will look at the 2012/blog miles difference.
I think the 1659 miles figure for my 2012 miles in the little blog summary is the total of both my cycling and running mileage.

Similar for richard hammond - he has three cycling sessions in 2012, two Cross Training and one Gym work, and they add up to 25.1, which is the discrepancy between his 2012 mileage on the Top Miles page and on the Training Blog summary.

Pamss 33.6 miles of cycling in the blog, and 2012 total out by that much.

Cycling miles can't be the whole story though, as there are others with small discrepancies who don't have cycling miles in their blogs.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #331 (Edited)
Wow, I like your detective skills, impressive.

Okay so there are a few things going on.

When the training blog first started it was for Running only and everything added up and made sense. Then cycling, swimming, gym work got added on as did the Top Miles page and the mile summaries in your posts.

At some point it was agreed that the blog totals should show the values for everything, as should the yearly summary, but the "Week:" and "Year:" and Top Miles should only show running because this is a running site, so that's what happens.
(Also worth noting that the week and yearly values are calculated every 10 minutes to save server load, so any those values can be upto 10 mins delayed)

The 2012 figure is accurate for all activities, however I did notice that I was using the wrong field so some people might have been a few miles out. Top Miles was also missing out Parkruns until just now.

So, unless I've missed something, the values are (now) correct but they seem wrong becuase it leads back to people wanting the training blog for more than just running, except when they didn't :)

Edit: oh and good spot on the profile linking. I was, er, just testing to see if anyone would notice. Yeah, honest.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thanks for doing that Chris. Sounds like things are working the way they should.

While I remember, can I report another training blog 'glitch', again one which you might be aware of. The functionality which generates various blog URLs seems to fail with certain usernames. The only example I have at the moment is for 'the doctor 46' where I assume the spaces are causing an issue.

The link in the training blog summary points to http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/blog/doctor-46.html instead of http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/blog/the-doctor-46.html

The URLs are similarly malformed in the Archive links in the blog.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Short reply: all fixed

Technical reply: We use VBSeo to generate pretty urls. In keeping with those I prettified the training blog urls. Included in this is the removal of common words such as "a", "an", "the" because apparently they hurt search engine rankings. Unfortunately I didn't notice that this removal happened to blog usernames.
Having dug through vbseo's awful code I've figured out a solution, I think.

·
Registered
940 Posts
thanks Chris for adding the parkrun option. :tup:

As David says although it is always 5K and always timed it is a run not a race, mostly to make it as inclusive as possible.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not sure if it's been mentioned, or suggested before, but I'd love to see one calendar with all the listings for entry dates for the national/international runs - maybe anything half-marathon and over?

I keep seeing events that interest me only to find out that entry has shut, or that there's not enough training time...

Maybe it wouldn't have to be broken down by the exact date, perhaps the month would be sufficient?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Yonders ago we had a whole section for races, listing by date, length, location etc.

Keeping it up to date was very difficult and no one would reliably do so. That and an attempt at upgrades mean the races section is now in a state of "yeah maybe one day someone will do this"

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yonders ago we had a whole section for races, listing by date, length, location etc.

Keeping it up to date was very difficult and no one would reliably do so. That and an attempt at upgrades mean the races section is now in a state of "yeah maybe one day someone will do this"
You need a wiki type section, where people could suggest amendments/updates, but in the end someone in the background accepts or bins the requests.

I have a spare server, and thought about building something like this but it would only truly be a useful resource I think if it was fully rounded -

A database of races with a forum type thing attached, where people could tag races they had entered. These races entered could be made visible to others at your own choosing.

The database would pull race results much like the way runbritainrankings works - and allow you to search for visible people around your same level that attend similar races - and give you head to head stats, details of the running club you were in etc etc...

Something like that would be pretty cool, its just getting around to building it and taking input from others.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The site has been down for me the past day or so... I just found it's back online but see people have been posting while the site was down, also no mention anywhere about the downtime....

Was it just me?

321 - 340 of 371 Posts