Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking for some tips. I have been running for a year now (no, not non-stop), and have decided to take it a bit more seriously. I have run half marathon in 1:50 and 10k in 46 minutes in races this year. Next summer I would like to do a marathon but would also like to take a chunk out of my 10k time. I am happy to put in the effort over the winter but do not know if these goals are compatible. Would I be better to choose now and concentrate on just one goal or just see how it goes?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Join a club and go from there.
Great for more structured training.
If you want a great book try Running Tough by Micheal Sandrock.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You'll find that marathon training will help all other distances, esp if you do 1 intervals session a week as part of your mara training.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both.

My birthday's coming up so I'll leave a few clues around about the book. My informers tell me that I should aim for about 45 miles a week running if I'm serious about marathon so I will have to plan quite carefully. Edinburgh May 27?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You can certainly aim to do both as each will help the other.

45 miles a week for marathon training applies to perhaps 3 weeks of your marathon schedule unless you are aiming for a particularly good time. In those weeks you'll be doing your long runs of 20-22 miles and for most of us 3 of those pre-race is sufficient.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts