Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a bike but am unsure on how to check if the frame size is correct , basically what and where should my legs be doing when they are peddling and how much should my feet be touching the floor at standstill ? Help please !

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Your leg / knees should be virtually straight when the pedal is at the lowest point. As for sizing its generally pot luck if you are going to buy online.
The geometry varies from bike to bike so my advice would be to try a few out for position and comfort for a start.
So prefer to to be raised once in the saddle (so feet can't touch floor directly) others don't and as for frame size remember to have the seat positioned slightly higher than the top of the handle bar so in theory you are pedaling with a downward motion.
So far I have purchased 3 bikes online and haven't found the comfort zone until I tried a few out in the local shop and then bought online ;)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers peoples , I tried a medium framed Boardman earlier today and even with the seat post all the way down I could only just get both feet down but only on the smallest of tip-toes !

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Shame that brilliant bike shop's gone from Commercial Road.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried the kids range? :p

What's the plan anyway? Duathlon? Must admit in tempted by that myself.

Effin cheek !
Yes a few low level trackl based duathlon planned for next year !

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
http://washford.scene7.com/s7viewers/dhtml/genericZoomMobile.html?serverUrl=http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/&style=/is/content/Washford/HalfordsMobileZoomViewer&asset=Washford/243704

My new bike , managed to get one with a small frame from Halfords in Cirencester . Staff in this shop were absolutely brilliant and very clued up unlike the impression I got of the staff in another branch of the shop I went into !
Ooh, a Boardman! Welcome to the world of multi-sport, Ade, and good luck with the duathlons. Now we just have to get you swimming...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
oh ive just seen this thread... im just about to ask my Boss if they will do the bike to work scheme.... I was going to get a specialized Allez.

nice bike Ade... hope they put some bloody pedals on it!! lol I'll race you :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
P.S my mates bike weights 8kg!!! what all this about? apparently when you get into it seriously its all about the weight!! haha

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ooh, a Boardman! Welcome to the world of multi-sport, Ade, and good luck with the duathlons. Now we just have to get you swimming...
I can swim ok-ish but it does need practice and a lot of it .

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh ive just seen this thread... im just about to ask my Boss if they will do the bike to work scheme.... I was going to get a specialized Allez.

nice bike Ade... hope they put some bloody pedals on it!! lol I'll race you :)
The scheme is great , I went from application to bike in about a week !
This one weighs in at 9.34 kgs I think , its allly frame but carbon forks !

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Already had a lot of kit , helmet , clothes , lights etc from my MTB but i did get a few inner tubes and a mini pump than can get to 120 psi , got this just in case , i dont want to be out on a big run and 30 miles from home with a puncture and nowt to repair it with !!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
what extra kit did you get pal? helmet clothes? lights etc?
Hey mate, I also just got a bike through cycle scheme, got a specialzed Sirrus. I also got a helmet, Lights, pump, spare tube, heavy duty lock, gloves and a high viz jacket. All depends on your budget. You basically get a quote then your employer checks it out via the cyclescheme website then releases the funds and you redeem a certificate in the store.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts