Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working to a 5 week programme in hope of running a sub 40 minute 10k yesterday only to cross the line at 42:40. I seem to run my usual training route well on course for a sub 40 10k So why is it that on the day it never comes off????? My next 10k is Brooks Brighton, I ran this last year in 41:38 so I will be trying my hardest to train that little more to achieve my goal.

Any tips?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Don't worry WS... it's the curse of the 40min 10k... most runners are under it's influence, me included

You have to wait... you know, like they do in the Guinness ad, and catch it unawares... that's how our Steve got it isn't it Steve ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Yep that's what I did...or was it down to me starting 2 mins before the rest of the field?!

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's a tough one to sneak up on that 40 minute barrier!

I'd try 10k paced intervals if you don't already do them.

Lots of these programs give you 5k reps to do but the most important workout for the 10k is running 10k pace (sounds obvious I know). Try 5-6 x 1k intervals at your current 10k pace with 1.5 mins between once a week.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd recommend the same as Lazyjones, though try and build up the number of reps to 10k distance... I've been doing this for a while now and I'm finding I'm able to run 10k at slightly faster than goal pace split up into 3 intervals. A great workout that leaves you buzzing because you feel like you've been flying along all session! :cool:

As for why it doesn't happen on race day when in training it looks like you should be well one course... it's either going to be a pacing issue, or a psychological barrier. Have you got any split times from the race? or just a finishing time?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd recommend the same as Lazyjones, though try and build up the number of reps to 10k distance... I've been doing this for a while now and I'm finding I'm able to run 10k at slightly faster than goal pace split up into 3 intervals. A great workout that leaves you buzzing because you feel like you've been flying along all session! :cool:

As for why it doesn't happen on race day when in training it looks like you should be well one course... it's either going to be a pacing issue, or a psychological barrier. Have you got any split times from the race? or just a finishing time?
Thanks for the advice guys I will be putting it in to practice from next week, I am doing the Brooks Brighton in November so will be going all out to achieve my goal !!!

Richard, There are no split times, but my watch was telling me at 5k I was at 19.30 or so, I obviously lost it in the last 5k somewhere. I seem to hit a bad patch around 6k but feel strong again towards the 8 and 9k marker.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Well, it seems like you did everything right. First 5k was perfect for a sub 40, but something went horribly wrong somewhere in the second 5k for you to end up with a 23 minute second 5k. Might have just been having a bad day, or perhaps the second part of the course was a bit tougher? It will come eventually.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it seems like you did everything right. First 5k was perfect for a sub 40, but something went horribly wrong somewhere in the second 5k for you to end up with a 23 minute second 5k. Might have just been having a bad day, or perhaps the second part of the course was a bit tougher? It will come eventually.
Yeah I don't know what happened I was hoping that the time on the clock at the finish was wrong or I was looking at the wrong time as there were 3 wave times showing. I think I just ran out of steam as it was a pretty warm morning on Sunday. O well here's for a hard training programme for Brighton :push::'(

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey WS,

I think you showed you can do it by running 19:30 the 1st 5k, but you didn't have the stamina on the day to keep it up for 10k, if you do 10k paced reps once a week from now to your race, you'll be ready I'm sure. I'd start with what I suggested and you can work up to what Richard suggested if you want, personally I think I'd find that too much physically, but Richard is a young'un and obviously made of sterner stuff than me!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hey WS,

I think you showed you can do it by running 19:30 the 1st 5k, but you didn't have the stamina on the day to keep it up for 10k, if you do 10k paced reps once a week from now to your race, you'll be ready I'm sure. I'd start with what I suggested and you can work up to what Richard suggested if you want, personally I think I'd find that too much physically, but Richard is a young'un and obviously made of sterner stuff than me!

Well, you seem to be posting times equivalent to Richard, so seems like you are made of similar stuff :p

·
Registered
348 Posts
True (& so are you - Runners Forum Love in!) but I think Richard's due to improve that 10k time by a chunk very soon...

I'd have him over 5k though, 23 something?!?

He must really get momentum in the second half of a 10k to do the 2nd half in 14 minutes! ;)

How's your running at the moment JB, are you in prime shape at the moment?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts