Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick thought on the recent article in runners world where four different styles of training and running were talked about. The article was called "Training secrets of the maverick coaches " One was to train fast, the next to train slow another coach talked of running less to focus on strength work and the final section talked of the benefits of the pose method of running. Now I found it very interesting to read about these different approaches, but here's my gripe, I just wonder how many people especialy newer runners will suddenly try these training methods and maybe train considerably different to how they do presently causing injuries, or just as harmful people may have self doubt over their own training methods especialy if they don't train with a club. I 've been running seriously for about 2 years and have obviously developed my own style I have been given advice from coaches and running mates and have used their experience and knowledge to progress. I feel that this article had way too much infomation, don't get me wrong i generaly find RW a good read, but maybe showing readers so many different approaches will sew too many seeds and stop people from just getting their heads down and running and running with confidence.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I guess it's possible. I reckon most new runners will read it with interest and then carry on as they are. After all a couple of miles 3 times a week is not so easy to vary.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
MY philosophy is that unless you are aiming to compete at full international level (where performance margins are crucial) it is best to just go with the running style and training you feel comfortable with and don't try to change it too drastically because some "experts" think it will give you an advantage. Most of the solutions to running faster for amateur or recreational runners (like most of us here) do not require changing your whole style of running.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think the most obvious advice a runner can give a newcomer to the sport is... start running and see how you go! but I can't see RW making much money if it suggested that to all it's readers on a monthly basis. lol!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Simeon,

I read that article and I'd have to agree. I've been running properly for a couple of years and finished the article seriously doubting my current training methods. I'd say I use a bit of each suggested style, I'm not sure it's going to help anyone to hone in on any one in particular. In the end of the day, everyone's got to do what's best for them, but I suppose that's the point they were making. It's just it didn't read like suggestions, more like you MUST be following one of these and if not you're doomed to failure!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm a Pose coach, if anyone's interested in finding about more then please ask, I'd be pleased to answer any Qs you may have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I read that article and didn't come away doubting my own methods. I felt that each coach was saying his method was the best and the only way to go but how can that be so when they all get results?

I also felt that that level of training is so far above my current level that it didn't really matter. But i suppose I'm more wary than some people who might throw themselves into one of the methods. It didn't really go into enough detail for you to follow them though, did it? (the memory's a bit vague)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts