Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local gym i attend arranged a 10K race today my PB before this race was 47 mins 41 seconds. Today i complete the distance in 42 mins 22 seconds! :D Surprisingly i felt quite fresh with only a slightly tight calf muscle to show for it. :D

I'm wondering how much more room for improvement there is i've been doing this running lark since January although been active in the gym for years. I still had enough energy for a sprint finish although whilst on the return trip it didn't feel like it. Just wonder what peoples thought are on sprint finishes should you have a little in reserve to do this at the end of a 10K? Or should my pace be quicker?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Sprint finishes are quite debatable... I tend to find that no matter how dead you are from the race, if you want to, you can manage a sprint finish. Your mind seems to recognise that you're about to finish and stops giving the 'you can't keep this up any longer' signals.

I personally would advise against actively trying to save something in the tank for a sprint finish, as the energy would've been better used increasing the pace around the rest of the course. This would undoubtedly be more uncomfortable during the race, but should result in a better time :)

Pacing as a whole is very difficult to perfect, though I think it's just something that gets better with practice. Sounds like you had a great race, and to knock over 5mins of your PB is great!!! Well Done!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Great result! Ive personally found that even after a hard half marathon run I still find it in me to sprint to the finish, Ive tried this in training and when Im dead, Im dead but during a race, even the full marathon when I thought I was going to die in the last 1/2 mile I managed a sprint finish, was it because I had saved some energy from the rest of the race...I would say not, its as Richard says, your body sort of turns of the warning signals and gives you back your body to do as you wish....

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
nicely put Richard and O.

I ran a 10k on Sunday although not my PB, it was still an achievement race as I have not run a race in over a year and I really wasn't sure what to expect from myself yesterday and I by far exceeded my expectations so was relieved to be only 2 mins off my previous pb, plus I have been reliably informed it is the toughest 10k in Essex, and I was passing people on the hills and for the last couple of k, I am v happy TT today :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
thanks chaps :d

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The last (and first) 2 races I have done, I have had absolutely nothing left in the last stages - I practically staggered over the line, with loads of people doing last minute sprints and stuff.

It's hard to tell - the first race I had only just got fit enough to finish 10k and did well most of the way round, the last race I did get a PB (not surprising for my second race with another 2 months training under my belt!) - I will think about a sprint finish this Sunday, but only if it's flat or downhill!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well Done TT.

I know I said well done when I saw you after the race,but I didn`t quite realise how well you had run.

Just for the record, Hot Foot also ran the race on Sunday,and finished a long way in front of me and TT.

Great run HF.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
To answer your question Junkie, your pace is what you are comfortable maintaining for the full 10k. If you feel you have extra to give in the last couple of K then go for it but its better to finish than to use up all your energy in the first half of the race and then get passed by everyone because you've got nothing left to give.

Well, thats my thoughts about pace :)

O.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To answer your question Junkie, your pace is what you are comfortable maintaining for the full 10k. If you feel you have extra to give in the last couple of K then go for it but its better to finish than to use up all your energy in the first half of the race and then get passed by everyone because you've got nothing left to give.

Well, thats my thoughts about pace :)

O.
Yeah the pace was up and down i'll admit i had an even pace on the way out doing the first half in 22 mins and the way back i tucked myself behind another runner who seemed to speed up and slow down and i followed like a moth in headlights. Something i need to work on! Great feeling to sprint past him at the end though! :D

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Fantastic Result JB, sorry I should have said that in my last post. :|

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well Done TT.

I know I said well done when I saw you after the race,but I didn`t quite realise how well you had run.

Just for the record, Hot Foot also ran the race on Sunday,and finished a long way in front of me and TT.

Great run HF.
I think he was at the finish by the time we got over the start line ha ha

Great going yourself Dave :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I think he was at the finish by the time we got over the start line ha ha

Great going yourself Dave :d
I think he probably was......:d

Thanks TT

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
That would be an achievement! but thanks for the compliment.

Again, it was good to see you there Dave,TT-;)

You were right about the second half Dave.

I took the night off of work last night as I was still so tired!

looking forward to the next one. i'm starting to like the 10k's, it's a good distance.

I didn't realise that there was going to be a chance to reload with carbs by the pint at the end, I might well have made other arrangements. maybe next year eh?

Thinking about doing: canvey 10k, billericay Striders 10k and southend classic. how about you Dave/ T.T. are you considering any of these?

Maybe your good lady could get her running shoes back on in time for one of these Dave?
She seems to enjoy supporting you at these events, maybe she'll be tempted one day?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm not sure if i asked you afterwards Dave, but did you get told by one of the marshalls that there was only 1k left only to discover about 500 mtrs later that there was 1k left from there?
Not that it would have made much difference to my result, but i did start pushing early as a result only to blow up too soon!

That Crispian Bloomfield was at it again wasn't he.

His times never cease to amaze me, is there a local race that he hasn't won in recent times?:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts