Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does everyone do about smelly trainers? I keep getting moaned at for making parts of the house smelly with my trainers... I'm sure some of you are delightful enough not to suffer with getting smelly feet (and therefore no smelly trainers) but mine do, especially once I've been running in the rain. :(

I wasn't sure where to put this thread to be honest... gear? training? Health? (based on the fumes produced :p) - general seemed to be the best option ;)

So, any tricks to hide the odour? Any great products you use? or do you just stick them away in a cupboard and accept the cupboard is always going to be smelly?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Mine tend to stay outside in the porch to air....not that mine are ever smelly of course!!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
you can get small plastic balls to put in ur shoes when now wearing to sort out the smell.. personally i would look to drying them properly before anything iccy gets chance to start to grow and smell.. newspaper etc..

failing that fabreeze

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I might give Fabreeze a try, I've never thought of using it on my trainers before.

Usually, I just leave them in the garage to dry out and get rid of all the odours. I usually only have to air my trainers when it has been really hot and I've been seating more than usual.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I am lucky. I have many personal hygiene issues but smelly feet if not one of them :p

If your trainers smell, does that not mean there is bacteria present?

·
Registered
149 Posts
whatever you do don't wash them, the smell goes away for a very short time then comes back with a vengeance, not too sure why but trust me as I have been down that route. As has been said before dry the trainers out so any bacteria has less of a chance to thrive. As for me I use one of those vicious exfoliating pads, that removes a lot of the old skin ( and some of the good stuff if you get carried away) net result no smelly feet.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I bought some little plastic air freshener balls designed for trainers from Sweaty Betty (ladies fitness store) they make my trainers smell like polo mints and I havent had any complaints from the other half yet!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Sprinkle the insides with bicarbonate soda.

You could also try washing your feet a bit more often!
Yeah Richard. Wash your feet you dirty bastard ;)

No advice really. I've never had a problem with smelly shoes. Could you spray them with air freshner or aftershave?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
you can get trainer spray... it's a freshener and anti bacterial

I've never had to use it though coz my feet only smell nice... not nasty :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I find if I muck out the horses in my running shoes nobody can smell anything other than the reek of stale horse p*ss off me. Anyone who suffers stinky trainers is welcome to come and do it, in return for all the invaluable advice Ive been given on the forum I will forgo this pleasure for its members. Its really effective :d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Most fragrance sprays will only mask the smell short term, you need to use something with an antifungal and or antibacterial agent in it. The sort of thing they use in bowling alleys is good.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
scholl do foot deodorant and shoe spray that might be worth ago.

I do the same as Steve and leave mine in the porch with several other old pairs which I use for walking about in now, looks abit like a trainer grave yard :(:d

·
Registered
835 Posts
quickly wash your feet in the sink before you go. and clean socks!
umm... not really what sinks are designed for, it reminds me of why I refuse to use 'wallgate' sinks in public toilets!

·
Registered
264 Posts
My off-road trainers end up smelling from all the cow and sheep dung I seem to end up running through. I wash the outside of my shoes whenever I get back from a run and then every now and again soak them in a bucket with warm water and half a washing powder tablet. I then rinse them. It works fine.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol... I seem to be the only person with smelly trainers/feet :((

In my defence, my feet don't tend to smell!!! (and I do wash them regularly :p) but I've noticed the smells are a lot more noticeable when the trainers get damp/wet. The biggest part of the problem seems to be drying them off! With the weather lately there's no chance of them drying outside, and we don't have a porch or anything, and I only tend to whack the heating on if it's cold! Perhaps I should just stop being to tight-pocketed and put the heating on for a bit ;)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Do you have a tumble drier Richard? Don't put your shoes inside the drier but set them next to it when you are next drying some clothes, the warmth from it should help dry them more fully!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts