Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve been jogging and running for a while now but didn’t really have much focus. Now I’m taking running more seriously I do tend to go out to jog and run almost everyday. I’ve found that I can jog for hours on end (like most people) but when it comes to picking up speed I cant seem to motivate myself. Whenever I have motivated my self I can only run fast for about a minute before I want to just call 999.

I can jog for about 5 miles but can only run for about ¼ of a mile. My running schedule is just jogging (slow) between 5 and 6 miles four times a week and 2 times a week I train with a friend and do slightly faster jogging (3 miles), which for us is running :) - the last ¼ mile I really do try to run.

I would really like to take part in the London marathon next year – would like to run not just jog slowly. Am I doing something wrong with my training or should I change something? Is there any way I can motivate my self to go a little faster?

Thanks any advice would be great
Puja

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Puja,

What do you define as jogging and what do you define as running? One persons jogging is anothers running!!

What sort of pace do you cover your 5 miles in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

My jog is a super slow - but hey its fun, I do about 3 miles in 1 ½ hours, my jog is paced so that I don’t get tired by the end. My fast jog is only a little faster and my wannabe run is quite fast not sure how fast - I just go as fast as my body can go (I get very tired). I should time my self this week.

I don’t mind doing less miles, but I’d like to slightly increase my speed and be fit for a marathon next year - I lack in motivation at times after a few miles. I even stop when I’m not tired as long as I’ve done what I indented to do. Is there a better way to train - and a way for me to speed up even slightly.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ooops I meant 5 miles in 1hour 30 minutes which is still just as slow - maybe one day i'll speed up :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Keep to a set route,and just try to take a few seconds off your best times.I found that by setting myself targets i was motivated to push a bit harder.You will not run any faster without getting away from your comfort zone.You might find it a lot more effort and somtimes it hurts a bit,but you should find that beating you own targets(even if they are only small gains) makes the effort worthwhile and satisfying. Good luck with your progress.keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I am stuck in the comfort zone timing - I think pushing a few seconds sounds more do-able then a few minutes at a time,

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts