Runners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’ve been jogging and running for a while now but didn’t really have much focus. Now I’m taking running more seriously I do tend to go out to jog and run almost everyday. I’ve found that I can jog for hours on end (like most people) but when it comes to picking up speed I cant seem to motivate myself. Whenever I have motivated my self I can only run fast for about a minute before I want to just call 999.

I can jog for about 5 miles but can only run for about ¼ of a mile. My running schedule is just jogging (slow) between 5 and 6 miles four times a week and 2 times a week I train with a friend and do slightly faster jogging (3 miles), which for us is running :) - the last ¼ mile I really do try to run.

I would really like to take part in the London marathon next year – would like to run not just jog slowly. Am I doing something wrong with my training or should I change something? Is there any way I can motivate my self to go a little faster?

Thanks any advice would be great
Puja

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

My jog is a super slow - but hey its fun, I do about 3 miles in 1 ½ hours, my jog is paced so that I don’t get tired by the end. My fast jog is only a little faster and my wannabe run is quite fast not sure how fast - I just go as fast as my body can go (I get very tired). I should time my self this week.

I don’t mind doing less miles, but I’d like to slightly increase my speed and be fit for a marathon next year - I lack in motivation at times after a few miles. I even stop when I’m not tired as long as I’ve done what I indented to do. Is there a better way to train - and a way for me to speed up even slightly.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Keep to a set route,and just try to take a few seconds off your best times.I found that by setting myself targets i was motivated to push a bit harder.You will not run any faster without getting away from your comfort zone.You might find it a lot more effort and somtimes it hurts a bit,but you should find that beating you own targets(even if they are only small gains) makes the effort worthwhile and satisfying. Good luck with your progress.keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.